[SOLVED] Streaming performance changes game to game

BoondockSaint080

Honorable
Jul 8, 2016
So i've recently taken on streaming and am having a massive issue. I've done a lot of research about the settings to avoid exactly this issue, and am flustered and frustrated to the point of not even wanting to stream as a result. My setup is an R5 3600, gtx 1660 super, 16bg 3600mhz ddr4 ram, I run games at around 100-120fps @1440p (sounds a bit outlandish but with the right tweaking it can be done).

I usually stream rainbow six, a relatively lax game on your pc hardware. I stream at 720p60, 4500kb/s and lanczos sampling. The stream runs well with sub 1% frame loss. I just recently tried going to gta v, the singleplayer. keeping all my settings the same, as nvenc runs on its own chip and I was under the impression that it would act exactly the same, as the chip is only used for the encoding, brought me to near 80% frames dropped. After taking the bitrate to 3500, bumping down to the performance preset, going into the game's settings to take the cpu intensive settings down multiple notches, i'm at around 50% dropped frames. I even adjusted the affinity to give the game access to only 8 of the 12 available threads. It's not network, as speed tests and other games running flawlessly can attest to that. I'm lost.

Edit: streamlabsobs is always run as administrator on high priority

Last edited:
Solution
I just recently tried going to gta v, the singleplayer. keeping all my settings the same, as nvenc runs on its own chip and I was under the impression that it would act exactly the same, as the chip is only used for the encoding, brought me to near 80% frames dropped.
It has nothing to do with streaming settings but with how windows works,while nvenc is a chip it still needs software to tell it that it should do something.
At default nvenc will run at a normal priority,this has nothing to do with the priority OBS runs at, you will have to increase the priority of nvenc itself, if you open up task manager it's called nvcontainer.exe, put it on the highest priority that it will allow if it won't allow realtime.
I just recently tried going to gta v, the singleplayer. keeping all my settings the same, as nvenc runs on its own chip and I was under the impression that it would act exactly the same, as the chip is only used for the encoding, brought me to near 80% frames dropped.
It has nothing to do with streaming settings but with how windows works,while nvenc is a chip it still needs software to tell it that it should do something.
At default nvenc will run at a normal priority,this has nothing to do with the priority OBS runs at, you will have to increase the priority of nvenc itself, if you open up task manager it's called nvcontainer.exe, put it on the highest priority that it will allow if it won't allow realtime.

Solution