[SOLVED] Streaming question

Jan 3, 2020
Ok so, I've trying to get into streaming for years now, i tried with a ps4, bought an ElGato and everything but i was missing sound, now i own a medium pc rig, the question is, can i stream with the hardware and internet i have?
If not, what do you guys recommend

Specs:
Rog Strix B360-H
I3 9100f
Gtx 1060 6gb
120 GB SSD
1TB HDD
550W Coolmaster power supply
And internet wise i've got 50 Mgps download and 5 Mbps upload

Solution
Yeah it's still possible to stream with that rig, probably not with H.264 but utilizing Nvidia's Nvenc(new) encoder to stream the video output. This will relieve stress on your CPU, which is pretty weak, and push the stream encoding to the GPU. While your 1060 isn't the strongest it shoudl still be able to handle 1080p 30FPS or 720p 60FPS. Which is exactly the resolution and FPS you can utilize with your upload speed (5000Kbps bitrate)

You can use OBS Studios or OBS stream labs to start streaming. Just make sure you set the video output stream encoder to Nvenc and your bitrate to 5000Kbps. Though if you find your network lagging in-game, the lowest you can go is 3500Kbps for 720p 60FPS.
Yeah it's still possible to stream with that rig, probably not with H.264 but utilizing Nvidia's Nvenc(new) encoder to stream the video output. This will relieve stress on your CPU, which is pretty weak, and push the stream encoding to the GPU. While your 1060 isn't the strongest it shoudl still be able to handle 1080p 30FPS or 720p 60FPS. Which is exactly the resolution and FPS you can utilize with your upload speed (5000Kbps bitrate)

You can use OBS Studios or OBS stream labs to start streaming. Just make sure you set the video output stream encoder to Nvenc and your bitrate to 5000Kbps. Though if you find your network lagging in-game, the lowest you can go is 3500Kbps for 720p 60FPS.

Solution
Jan 3, 2020

Thanks for replying, what if I bolster my gpu to a gtx 1070 with the i3 9100f? Or changing my i3 9100f to a i5 8400, would I be able to get that 1080p 60fps

Thanks for replying, what if I bolster my gpu to a gtx 1070 with the i3 9100f? Or changing my i3 9100f to a i5 8400, would I be able to get that 1080p 60fps

Sure you can do either, I worded it wrong above but the issue is with your network data speed not your rig. You only have 5Mbps as you stated, that's 5000Kbps. That's how much data is needed for 1080p 30FPS streaming.

But I also take it that your games don't normally reach 60FPS stable unless you're on medium settings eh? Then upgrading to a 1070 would be a better option.

Jan 3, 2020
Sure you can do either, I worded it wrong above but the issue is with your network data speed not your rig. You only have 5Mbps as you stated, that's 5000Kbps. That's how much data is needed for 1080p 30FPS streaming.

But I also take it that your games don't normally reach 60FPS stable unless you're on medium settings eh? Then upgrading to a 1070 would be a better option.

Oh yeah, my rig is enough for 60 FPS, in competetive setting on fortnite I get 150 FPS down 230 FPS up and Gta 70 FPS down, apex 100+ constant on maxed out

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
don't set your bitrate to 5000.
That is the WRONG thing to do.
When you set a bitrate in OBS it doesn't stick to it exactly. it always overshoots during encoding and fluctuates.

For your upload speed (assuming you got those numbers with a speedtest and not just assuming you have them based on your internet package) you should set your bitrate to 4500 at most, and more preferably 4000 just to ensure that when it overshoots during encoding it won't shoot past what your internet is capable of handling and that way your stream doesn't get all jacked up for the viewer.

Reactions: Jdsm_
Nov 26, 2019
There's no way you're going to be streaming an FPS game on twitch with 4000 bit rate and retain any viewership.

Offloading the encoding to the ElGato is a smart idea. Now you just need a faster upload so you don't have to stream at 720 or 480 or something. :p

If you're streaming with a 4000 bit rate, you'd better be playing a much slower game, like a turn based RPG or .... checkers or something. :p At 4000, you're going to turn your mouse once and your stream's going to pixelate to hell (at 1080).

Last edited:
Reactions: Jdsm_