Question Streaming UHD via HDMI

yobydnub

Reputable
Sep 8, 2015
I was wondering if I can stream UHD via HDMI from my laptop to my 4K TV
I have an external Blu ray drive that supports playing UHD discs.
Any assistance would be appreciated.

VIVO-US

Honorable
Feb 1, 2017
This will depend on your laptop's HDMI version. If it has HDMI 1.4, it will support 4K output at 30Hz. HDMI 2.0a or newer is needed to display 4K at 60Hz. Anything older than 1.4 is limited to 1920x1200 or less from my understanding.

If your laptop has Display Port or USB-C, you can use a DP or USB-C to HDMI adapter cable to get 4K video.

yobydnub

Reputable
Sep 8, 2015
This will depend on your laptop's HDMI version. If it has HDMI 1.4, it will support 4K output at 30Hz. HDMI 2.0a or newer is needed to display 4K at 60Hz. Anything older than 1.4 is limited to 1920x1200 or less from my understanding.

If your laptop has Display Port or USB-C, you can use a DP or USB-C to HDMI adapter cable to get 4K video.

I can't seem to find out what my laptop's HDMI version is,
I have a HP 15-bs749tx https://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c05869385
My drive arrived today and I seem to have run into another problem. I cant play a UHD at all.
As far as I'm aware, my specs are fine for running the Pioneer BDR-XD07J-UHD (external) drive, Im running Cyberlink 19, my computer recognises the drive just fine, but when I go to play a disc, I get this message "Power DVD is preparing for UHD Blu-ray. This is only needed first time" then a progress bar gets almost to the end, and just stays there. I have done some research, I updated my bios, and I made sure the SGX setting in the bios was set to "Enabled". Ive also read only certain processors will work with this drive, it said I needed at least Kaby Lake and mine is Kaby Lake Refresh.
That's about as far as Ive got. Im not really up on all this technical stuff, but I would hate to think ive wasted $230 on a drive I cant use with my laptop, when I thought I'd done my due diligence.
I hope you can give me some insight.

VIVO-US

Honorable
Feb 1, 2017
It looks like your laptop uses the Radeon 520 GPU, which does not support 4K HDMI out. :(
I can't say for sure what's wrong with the Power DVD installation, so maybe someone else here has a better idea about that.