Question Streaming Video in Chrome pauses when playing video or music on WMP classic

tacomaguy20

Distinguished
May 2, 2009
First, I have a Home Theater PC and it's connected video and audio through HDMI. I've recently switched from Firefox to Chrome and this issue seems to be specific to Chrome and Windows Media Player Classic -Home Cinema to be specific. Switching back to Firefox or switching to VLC media player and I don't have this issue.

Essentially the issue is that if I am playing watching a movie on WMPC and simultaneously streaming Youtube (or another streaming service) in Chrome, the video pauses until I stop WMP. Then the streaming video will resume. Sometimes the streaming video will give me an audio renderer error and say to restart the computer. However, I've tried that and I've tried updating my audio driver as well as rolling it back and no changes. If I use VLC to play the video, no issue. If I keep WMPC and use firefox to stream, the video in the background keeps playing but it's muted. Kind of the point since sometimes I'm just listening to the audio on one and watching the video on the streaming. Something is conflicting between Chrome and WMPC and won't let me play video on both at once. Does anybody know why this is? Is it not possible to play video in WMPC-HC and Chrome at the same time? Sure I could switch my browser or my player but I'd like to keep using WMPC-HC because it comes with the codec pack and I just left Firefox for a reason. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

*Edit, I just realized that this is only when bitstreaming audio output....which explains why VLC player doesn't have an issue. So Bitstreaming audio must be conflicting with the audio output of Chrome and stops the video. I think Firefox just mutes the audio instead of pausing the video so I can still watch video in the background while playing music or whatnot. Is there a way around this so I can just have the audio muted in the streaming and still watch the video?

Last edited:

tacomaguy20

Distinguished
May 2, 2009
No but looking at it now it goes over a lot of the stuff I had already done. I don't actually think it's an error with WMP classic but rather something conflicting with the audio renderer of chrome when bitstreaming. I'm wondering if it's a setting that can be turned off or adjusted to use a different renderer? I can turn bitstreaming off but that defeats the point of the audio receiver. What I'd really like to know is if other people can bitstream with WMPC-HC and play videos in chrome without issue or if they have the same problem?