[SOLVED] Streaming with AMD GPU?!

jawa

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2013
hello,
i have a AMD Radeon RX 590 GPU and a Ryzen 7 2700X CPU.
I want to stream to Twitch using OBS. usually i stream using the "x264" encoder but i realized that AMD has its own encoder ("H264/AVC Encoder AMD Advanced Media Framework"). I know NVIDIA GPUs have "NVENC" as their encoder which is better than x264, so i am wondering if the AMD encoder is also better?
which encoder should i use for the best possible streaming quality? Thank you

Solution
hello,
I want to stream to Twitch using OBS. usually i stream using the "x264" encoder but i realized that AMD has its own encoder ("H264/AVC Encoder AMD Advanced Media Framework"). I know NVIDIA GPUs have "NVENC" as their encoder which is better than x264, so i am wondering if the AMD encoder is also better?
x264 is CPU based while both nvenc and AMF use hardware on the GPU. But, after some tests, I can tell you this: x264 compresses much better than both. Depending on what is most important to you (encoding smoothness or smallest throughput), then you should use one or the other.
hello,
x264 is CPU based while both nvenc and AMF use hardware on the GPU. But, after some tests, I can tell you this: x264 compresses much better than both. Depending on what is most important to you (encoding smoothness or smallest throughput), then you should use one or the other.

Reactions: jawa
Solution

jawa

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2013
Thank you for your explanation!

TRENDING THREADS