Question Streaming with slow internet

ThatSourMelon

Commendable
Apr 21, 2019
Hello, I want to stream but I have really slow internet, a quick test shows 12mbps download and 3.9mbps upload, but I assume its probably a lot lower than that. I’m using obs and am gaming, I set the obs settings to stream in 720p 60fps and set my game resolution to 720p. I have been looking in the obs settings and there is a low latency mode, what does that do and should I enable it? My pc specs are fine to game and stream, but here is what I have:

Intel core i5-9600k (6 cores and 4.4ghz)
16gb of DDR4 ram (3200mhz)
Radeon Rx 580 gaming x 8gb
MSI Z390-A PRO Motherboard
SATA III SSD
Windows 10 pro 64-bit

I’m using the hotspot data on my phone (I’m wiring it via usb) because it is WAY faster than my home internet (the speed test above is the speed when it’s on my phones hotspot, if I used my home internet it would probably be 6mbps download and 0.3-1.5mbps upload) But, I only have 20gb of data for it, I don’t use my hotspot for anything else and I will only have the game, obs, and discord open. I’m also connected to my homes WIFI and Ethernet, if that would help at all (so I have 3 connections). So, if anyone could recommend me settings that I should change to keep me under the limit and have my stream at the highest quality it can be, I would really love to know, thanks! Idk how mich I would be streaming, probably 2-3 times a week for a couple or so hours, at the max.

I did some calculations, streaming would take around 0.99-1.5gb of data an hour, I could tolerate that, at the most. But if anyone knows anything that can decrease my gb usage and/or a better quality stream I would really appreciate it.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Using your phone as the hotspot is not a good idea. It will n turn just heat up the phone, apart from draining your data package. You will also need to look into upping the bandwidth on your ISP's connection since those speeds barely cut it for streaming.

ThatSourMelon

Commendable
Apr 21, 2019
Using your phone as the hotspot is not a good idea. It will n turn just heat up the phone, apart from draining your data package. You will also need to look into upping the bandwidth on your ISP's connection since those speeds barely cut it for streaming.
What else do I do? My hotspot gives me way better latency on the game, as aposed to 250-300ms for my home internet. I have the highest plan on my only provider in my area.

You are going to wipe the data cap in no time you can easily use over 1gbyte/hour even using fairly low bitrates.

You can run your game on dsl connection and the stream on the hotspot but you are going to have to play around with the ROUTE command to make mulitple internet connection work.