Street Surge killed PSU, odds of Mobo being fried too?

Tundiam360

Honorable
Nov 1, 2012
Sup guys. :(

End of September I built me a new PC and it was fantastic, great for gaming and my Graphic design work for college.
Little did I know today it was all going to end.

While I was using my PC this morning before college my PC just up and cut off, apparently the things downstairs did too, I turned my PC off and walked out the room, when I came back I smelt smoke from the PSU, since then It wont turn back on.

I know that the Surge killed the PSU but I'm worried about the GPU (The most) as well as the MoBo and CPU annnd even the RAM.

What are the odds of all of these components being fried, I know a PC shop which I'm going to take it to for testing before I contact the ebay shops to issue replacement components....

YES, as you may of figured I'm not a 100% Technical guy, so I'm not 100% with these type of situations.

bliq

Distinguished
hard to tell. good PSU's are designed to protect downstream components but a strong/fast enough surge could get through even good PSUs and damage stuff. You'll probably have to have it checked out. Also there's a possibility it caused damage, not enough that it won't work for a while but if you start getting random bluescreens and errors that can't be explained, better start saving your pennies...