Question Stress test necessary - Completed new build

nutshellml

Honorable
Jan 10, 2017
Thanks to all just completed i7 13gen build with EVGA 750GT, 32GB DDR5 RAM, ASUS Z790 Prime, AK640 cooler and wanted to know if there are any “stress test” type applications to run to test all components? I’ve been leaving it on last few days and no issues, only thing is I don‘t see the PSU fan running, but it has this ECO mode. I haven’t added the GPU yet, 3060 Ti in route.

A combination of Prime95 for the CPU and Furmark for the video card is the usual go to. However, they don't represent realistic stresses so to speak since nothing else does this. In addition, video card manufacturers gotten wise about Furmark, so it doesn't actually push as much power as other things might do.

These days I usually just throw a 10 minute Cinebench R23 run for the CPU and if I really want to, 3DMark's Time Spy stress test which loops through it 20 times, taking about 25 minutes.

Reactions: nutshellml

Misgar

Commendable
Mar 2, 2023
If you're not running a heavy overclock on your new system, you probably won't benefit from a prolonged stress test. A system running at stock settings should be stable for all normal programs. Half an hour's stress testing should be enough to heat up the case and test cooling.

WinRAR and Handbrake are real world programs that push your CPU hard.

The PSU fan won't kick in until you're pulling 225W (red line on graph). Until you install the 3060i, you probably won't hear the PSU fan start up.

vUKSHEzTTxS32C7nojCxyJ.png

Reactions: nutshellml
I would also argue doing a battery of things you'd normally do would probably be a better test anyway since a prolonged workload is a constant stress, but doing things people normally do will cause the CPU to jump up and down in terms of power draw. Running games for the GPU can kinda be a similar story, but the jumps are usually less dramatic.

The above is a typical reason why people get confused when they manually tweak the CPU and it passes CPU stress tests just fine, but sometimes it crashes when they're doing nothing more than browsing the internet (it's because they set a fixed voltage and that wasn't enough to support the 1-2 core boost speed)

Test your ram.
Run memtest86 or memtest86+
They boot from a usb stick and do not use windows.
You can download them here:
If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.

Running several more passes will sometimes uncover an issue, but it takes more time.
Probably not worth it unless you really suspect a ram issue.

Stress testers used to be more useful a few years ago.
Today motherboard makers boost the processors as high as the conditions and cooling conditions permit.
Your apps are the best test.

As a simple test the CPU-Z stress test will exercise all threads.
Or, you can run the cpu-Z bench and compare the single thread and total performance metrics to what others have done.
For example, here is the result for a I7-13700K:

TRENDING THREADS