Stress test stable, unstable while gaming - 3570k. Looking for ideas.

Jan 14, 2019
I recently got a new gpu and found out that the biggest problem of my build wasn't the old gpu I had (an r9 290) but my cpu. This holds true especially for newer games like ACOd. So, since I wont have more upgrade budget for the near future I decided to finally overclock my old 3570k.

So my current target is a 4.4Ghz which is partly achieved already as you can see on the title of this post. The problem is that even though I am stable for stress testing and day to day use, while gaming I still encounter whea warnings (no bsod- just event id 20 whea warnings).

For testing I used OCCT (medium dataset), realbench and prime(small FFT) all of which passed without errors (whea or any other) for 8 hours each at least 2 times. I also completed MemTest just to be sure. In day to day use and some matlab work that I do, the oc gives me no trouble (again no errors, no hangs,no stutters, nothing). While playing games (currently testing with ACO) I still get some whea errors. I will explain the proccess I followed below.

What I have kept enabled:
I have the XMP enabled for my 8GB of DDr3 memory which will give me the rated speed of 1600mhz (2x4GB corsair vengeance). I would like to keep this enabled if possible because I don't like the idea of messing with memory timings and voltage myself. I also kept the C states and EIST functions.

For the oc currently I have the main following settings and my MB is a GB Z77x-UD3H
LLC : extreme (I had problems in the past with instability even an lower clock speeds and I am not keen on lowering it)
Multi: x44
V core currently at 1.285 jumps to 1.32 under full load.
Turbo mode: disabled
Current temps under normal load : 70c-74c
Prime temps: 85c-88c
Idle temps: 35c-37c

I can't think of any other change I made right now and probably I am not forgetting something. My quest to find the right vcore started at 1.25 with everything else as is right now. At this voltage I was unstable for stress testing. I bumped to 1.26 things were getting better passed prime still failed at OCCT and realbench. Bumped again to 1.27 passed realbench and prime failed on occt after 6 hours and thought was close so I went for 1.275 which passed OCCT and all others. Then I started testing for games. At 1.270 AC gave me 2 whea errors within one hour of gameplay which was expected since OCCT also failed. At 1.275 I was stable for almost 4 days around 10 hours of gameplay time. Then I got a game crash checked the logs and found a new whea error. Finally I bumped losing hope and patience to 1.285 which is currently stable but not tested for much time.

So finally the conclusion. I want to ask someone with more experience for a second opinion on this oc. Am I heading in the right way or is there any option or alternative that I missed? I have lost some confidence because I think I am getting close and everytime something goes wrong.

Thanks for reading this long post!

Edit: My post's vcore values were all messed up because I forgot to put 1.x in front before typing. Sorry for that I updated my post with the correct used values.

Wait wait wait.... you run that Chip with a Vcore of more then 2,00V????
That must be a readout Error because usually your Chip runs at 0,8 to 1,4V and trust me if i say that a Chip with 1,4V is getting really damn hot. Under normal room Temperature a chip instantly dies if you hit it with 2,2V or more...