[SOLVED] Stressing Cpu and Gpu (not %100 both) ?

ekaydirma

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2013
Hi,
I am thinking about upgrade my 980ti to 5700 xt. But i have some questions about it. Firstly i thought if my power sup was enough for that. this is the first question.

Next, i thought if my power sup was enough for my current system. :) I'm a little paranoid probably. :)

So i thought "if i can stress both my cpu and gpu at the same time at %100, my power sup is ok." Is this opinion wrong? (second question)

I stressed my cpu with CPU z while stressing gpu with gpu tool stability(and tried furmark).

But when i stress my cpu %100, my gpu cant go %100(it goes around 15-30-50). My gpu stress can go %100 alone, but again while stressing gpu, if i click stress cpu, gpu load falls down again. Is it normal or does it show my power sup cant handle that? This is the last question.
Lastly my pc specs:

ryzen 5 3600 @4ghz
980ti oc
16 gb @3000
psu: thermaltake 550w +80 bronze.
Thank you for reading and answers.

Solution
You are not going to see 100% numbers in most games, and, it is erroneous to think it advantageous without regard to resolution and detail levels, complexity of game, with/without optimizations for more cores, etc...

The 5700XT is an excellent GPU through at least 1440P in most all games, and, the R5-3600 is a very good CPU with 12 threads...(if you intend lots of streaming, consider a 3700X)

Now, start ordering! :)

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Stressing components to see if the psu will handle it isn't the way to go about it. If the psu couldn't handle it, you would have shut downs etc, eventually the psu will fail if it can't cope leading to potential component damage. Thermaltake aren't really known for quality power supplies and 550w with an efficiency rating of 80% where it can sustain most stable power. Over that, then the psu will start to deliver unsteady power. I'd guess your psu is only cable of 520w, maybe a little more at peak power usage.

If you intend to upgrade gpu in future, i'd look into a better power supply, in the Gold ratings or higher (Platinum then Titanium), from Seasonic, Evga and Corsair.

Regarding usages, what you're seeing is normal. Gpu get's it's instructions /frames from the cpu, so if the cpu is over worked, means less gpu performance.

ekaydirma

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2013
Stressing components to see if the psu will handle it isn't the way to go about it. If the psu couldn't handle it, you would have shut downs etc, eventually the psu will fail if it can't cope leading to potential component damage. Thermaltake aren't really known for quality power supplies and 550w with an efficiency rating of 80% where it can sustain most stable power. Over that, then the psu will start to deliver unsteady power. I'd guess your psu is only cable of 520w, maybe a little more at peak power usage.

If you intend to upgrade gpu in future, i'd look into a better power supply, in the Gold ratings or higher (Platinum then Titanium), from Seasonic, Evga and Corsair.

Regarding usages, what you're seeing is normal. Gpu get's it's instructions /frames from the cpu, so if the cpu is over worked, means less gpu performance.

Thank you for the reply,

I have no problems currently with my power sup and system. I searched a bit and 980ti and 5700 xt seem to consump more or less the same power. Am i wrong about this? If yes about consumption, is it ok to stay with my current psu for now?

You are not going to see 100% numbers in most games, and, it is erroneous to think it advantageous without regard to resolution and detail levels, complexity of game, with/without optimizations for more cores, etc...

The 5700XT is an excellent GPU through at least 1440P in most all games, and, the R5-3600 is a very good CPU with 12 threads...(if you intend lots of streaming, consider a 3700X)

Now, start ordering! :)

Reactions: ekaydirma
Solution

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Thank you for the reply,

I have no problems currently with my power sup and system. I searched a bit and 980ti and 5700 xt seem to consump more or less the same power. Am i wrong about this? If yes about consumption, is it ok to stay with my current psu for now?

I think you'll be alright. Whole system including 980Ti would be pulling around 400~430w. 5700XT uses bit less power.

Reactions: ekaydirma

TRENDING THREADS