Strict $800 first-time build

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ti1706

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
I'm looking to build a system, this will be a first attempt for me, I appreciate any recommendations you guys might have.
Hate to dampen spirits, but I have a firm $800.00 limit INCLUDING taxes, shipping, and any other charges (such as the OS, and any first-timer items).
Lastly, I do NOT need a monitor, I have an acceptable one (LCD) already.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: ASAP

BUDGET RANGE: US $0-800.00

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Flash animation/games rendering, internet browsing, music composition/listening, video editing, movies/gaming

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Monitor, and I am not adverse to grabbing a discount keyboard and mouse.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg.com, or anything with a clean reputation.

PARTS PREFERENCES: an Intel processor (AMD, if better bang for buck)

OVERCLOCKING: Despite no experience, I'd like to try and overclock. As for Crossfire/SLI, I'm not a high-end gamer, so... probably no.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I'm a big multi-tasker (4-5 internet pages, Sony Vegas, Notepad, Core Media Player would be typical), The extent of my gaming aspirations is a WoW-esque game. I render a lot of Flash, and I'd like to start doing some graphics work (anyone recommend a good pen tablet?). I hope to be able to upgrade and reuse this build for a couple of years (better graphics card, sound card, RAM, etc.).
Hard Drive size isn't a big concern for me (250gb or better is fine), but its access speed is. For the sake of not falling behind, I'd prefer DDR3 RAM. Finally, I've been using XP for years, waiting out Vista... so I'll probably go with a 64-bit version (Home is fine) and upgrade to 7.

Many thanks for your time.

ti1706

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009

Sorry if I wasn't clear, with "restrictions" I was referring to anything other than the shutdown date. Sounds like there aren't any, though.

In response to second mobo/case choices. I'm uninformed, but the Cooler Master does look a bit better, as for the mobo...?
Since I intend to recycle parts over the years, I am presuming a good starting case is more important than the motherboard, or is that incorrect?

Thanks for your patience, guys.

psycho sykes

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
A good starting case is essential just like a good starting Mobo.
The Cooler Master case has more fans so better air-flow and better temps (though just 1C- still better :lol: )
As for the mobo the Asus LE version has pretty much all what you need and only $13 more than the UD2 but just added it for reference or if you might want another option.
For the RC that's pretty much what i know, Though i'll keep searching and PM you if i found anything (Hopefully not :D ).

Medo

ti1706

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
Two worries, though... the Cooler Master is "tool-less" and according to critics, made of "cheap plastic". Apparently it's upset some Newegg users....

Still, it sounds like the better case (cooling vs. extra 3.5" drive bay, cooling wins?)

Mobo-wise, thanks for clearing that up. It looks like you've named a clear winner.

Over all, the build looks good to me.

(Provided I can find the RC... heh....)

ti1706

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
Well, guys, thanks for all of your help.

Reality beckons, so I must be leaving now.

I'll continue checking the thread daily, until I come to a resolution... but it looks like I've found a good build.

Best to be careful, though, so anyone with a comment/advice, feel free to post.

Thanks for the aid, Sykes (or do you prefer Pyscho?).

psycho sykes

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009

"Medo" :lol:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So how does your final build look?!

I'll see if i can find any download links (I'll avoid torrents if possible :D )

Medo

build

Distinguished
May 19, 2009

Psycho your supposed to be on my side :lol:

Anyhow, mine and Why_me's build are pretty similar but his build turns out cheaper because of the parts from that other site. I'm not american so I don't really know any other sites other than newegg. You should go for Why_Me's build ;)

build

Distinguished
May 19, 2009
Oh not at all :D

What I meant was, I would choose Why_Me's build over mine since it's cheaper.

I didn't even see you had posted your own build because I clicked reply straight after I saw Why_Me's build :(

psycho sykes

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009

Um.. I can't understand what you're trying to say.

My build earned its "0" rating in part by choosing an Intel mobo to save $10 in a very tight budget.

My excuse was, in jest, that the only reason I put up *any* build is to prod Why_me to compete.

The day he doesn't, someone may actually wind up with that Intel mobo.

Not worth explaining, but I didn't want to ignore you lol.

ti1706

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009

Medo/Sykes is right. I don't know enough to criticize anyone's build, so that "0" was just a vote count (not a 0/10 rating, or the like).

It sounds like you think Why_Me is pretty good at this, not to sound antagonistic, but would you vote for his build over yours (I noticed you said his was "better")?

... and, as always, I appreciate all the posts, guys.

ti1706

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009

Medo suggested that I download the win7 RC, purchasing the retail release when it arrives in March. In theory, it seems to be a good idea (I've yet to try that link, though). My one issue with it is the eventual cost.... I'm a student (hence the budget), so part-time work, and mounting expenses are all I have right now.

Anyone with a build preference, chime in whenever you like. Particularly, Why_Me; I'd like to hear his thoughts on Medo/Sykes' build.

ti1706

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009

Heh... can't believe I forgot that.... I must have read it while looking over computers, at least 20 times....

... ouch....

... now I'm starting to worry about yesterday's test's answers....