• Our team is working to address issues posting quotes or media to the forums. Please bear with us as we get this sorted out.

Strictly VR / Valve Index Gaming Laptop

Dec 24, 2020
Hi all, hope you're all enjoying your summer.

So I recently moved into another apartment, where my beautiful gaming desktop is stuck in one of the bedrooms which I converted into an office for myself and I find myself missing my VR games, my VR setup, etc (I don't have room in my office to play VR, will have to be in the living room). I want to buy a laptop to use strictly to run VR games. For this reason I do not care about refresh rates, screen sizes, etc. It's literally going to be its own "gaming box" I just keep in the living room to play stuff like Half-Life Alyx and other demanding VR titles on the Valve Index.

And thus, this brings me to my question - is there a laptop you guys recommend that is not super pricey (talking $1500 range) that will simply support the above beautifully while ignoring RGB light-up keyboards, monitor refresh rates, battery life (it will always be plugged in while we play), etc. You get the idea, this machine is literally and simply for the purpose of hopping on, playing some VR for a few hours and then hopping off.

Currently looking at this laptop:

// MSI GS66 Stealth 10SE-442 15.6" 240Hz 3ms Ultra Thin and Light Gaming Laptop Intel Core i7-10875H RTX2060 16GB 512GB NVMe SSD Win10PRO VR Ready //

Wondering if you guys think it's a good deal? I can get it for about $1450.
Also wondering if an RTX2060 can manage a game like Alyx on high settings...

Thanks in advance all!

Per forum rules - filling this out as well

1. What is your budget? $1500

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? N/A

3. What screen resolution do you want? N/A

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? Portable

5. How much battery life do you need? N/A, will always be plugged in when playing.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? High Settings, Strictly VR Games / Valve Index.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.) N/A

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? N/A - I can always upgrade this later anyway.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? 2-3 years.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? NONE.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. Don't care, as long as gaming, VR ready laptop.

13. What country do you live in? USA

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Laptop General Discussion 7

ASK THE COMMUNITY