Striker Extreme & Super Talent DDR2-800 Please help

Rohon

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2007
Ok, here's the scoup:

I purchased a total of 4GB of Super Talent DDR2-800 memory. The company's model number for that RAM is T800UX2GC4 PC6400 with capable 4-4-3-8 timings.

Here is the problem. When I have two sticks installed for 2GB total, the system works just fine. I have had it powered up running Windows Vista 32bit for 2 weeks without a problem. Now this is true for both pairs of RAM, alone they have no problems and it even boots up if I pair them both in the channel B slots. The problem comes when I try to put all 4 sticks in at once. Now doing this with auto timings in the BIOS the PC posts, then immidiately after the post beep, it resets and then posts again, and then resets. It continues to do this untill I shut it down.

I have tried both pairs of memory alone and in different slots and oddly enough, I can get the system up and running stable every time. It's when I try to put in all 4 sticks that I cannot get anything running.

I tried playing with the memory votage before, setting it to 2.2V and to 2.1V with the 4-4-3-8 timings. This did not work. Then I upped the NB voltage to about 1.5V and was able to post and get into the BIOS, but about 2 minutes later it crashed again. I tried a NB voltage of 1.8V, but that was way to high and the system would not even post. Had to reset the CMOS after that.

Unfortunately I was not writing down what I was doing with the results, but I did get it to post and not reset with all 4 sticks in, but then Vista would not boot up. It would go past that loading bar you initially get with Vista, and then froze right before the welcome chime.

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated. I know this ram is not listed in QVL for the motherbaord, but slower Super Talent memory is. I have been reading that these Striker Extreme boards are really finnicky with memory choices, but I was hoping mabey someone else out there had the same problem and was able to get by it.

Thanks all,

~Rohon

GSTe

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
This is a problem on a lot, if not the majority of DDR2 boards, they simply don't like it when all 4 slots are used. I'd try updating the BIOS first, but if this doesn't help I would contact ASUS and see if they have any suggestions.

Rohon

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2007
I find it so odd though that when I shoved 8 GB (4 sticks of 2GB each) of OCZ gold PC1066 in there with timings of 5-5-5-15 it ran just fine. Albeit Vista did not see more than 3.2GB, but it did not crash at all. It's got me confused.

The BIOS version is the latest one from ASUS, that didn't help. The recommended voltage is 2.2V accourding to Super Talent. Should I go higher than this? If so how high?

Also the north bridge voltage. Anyone know what it is set at when it's on Auto? If I should up that at all, what is a safe range to try and up it to?

Lastly, should I just consider buying two stick of 2GB RAM instead? What would you recommend for that in the fastest timings or most able to be overclocked?

Thanks

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Try relaxing the timings to 4-4-4-12 at 2.1V with two DIMMs inserted, then shut down and insert the other two.

The problem is probably with the memory controller. A BIOS update might help by compensating with other timings.

turtle1

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2006
I have the same mobo and 4 gigs of Corsair memory and have no problems (even with tighter timings and higher voltage). If bios is version 1102 and you relax the timings and you still have problems, you may want to try some different memory.

n8dogg

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
I'm pretty sure the amount of people having problems with this board is way overrated. I have 2 and have 4 friends that have 1 each and none of us have even had a glitch with these boards, hell I have a 3.51 oc and 4 gigs team extreem ram and it works flawlessly since the day I put it all together. All my friends boards work great except for the x-fi glitch when sli but thats the chipset, not the actual boards fault. Honestly I can from a lanparty sli-dr expert board and it was fantastic but I like this board even more!
I run ram at 2.2 v at 4-4-4-10 2t (gets errors at 23 minutes at 1t)
NB 1.6v and knock on wood that I don't have any of the problems that some of the people are having :)

Sharp

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2004

32 bit visa won't work wtih 4gig. you need 64 pro.

f61

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2007
Another noob with 4gb in Vista 32

If it were posted in BIG LETTERS on the top of every page here, it would not help.

Who told you vista 32 would work with 4Gb? Find them and ask to borrow something expensive ;)

smoke714

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2007
hi i bought this Super Talent Part#: T8UB1GC5 , 1gig each channel total of 2gig and here is my m/b GIGABYTE GA-M61SME-S2 Socket AM2 and when i did the futuremark test or detail each channel of my memory slot it saying 400mhz is this right? or it has to say 800mhz each channel since its ddr2 800 memory?? i really need help..someone told me that memory is 2.2v and my m/b support 1.8v but i dont think thats the problem could someone help.

Baloney. Vista-32 works just fine with 4gb. You will only see about 3.4gb because of 32 bit addressing issues. The same is true of 32-bit XP. Nevertheless, going from 2gb to 3.2gb is a good jump if you can use the memory, which Vista does.

TRENDING THREADS