Striker is out....lets talk alternatives

johnstac

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007
Amidst all of the complaints I am reading about Striker mobo, I have decided to move in another direction. Originally I wanted to build the ultimate gaming computer but I also read that the quad core processor doesn't add much to the gaming experience anyway. With those two things in mind, can I get some recommendations on mobo/cpu?

I'm not that familiar with the newer technologies. I am using an A8NSLI Premium with a 7800GTX VC. I am assuming that I can do a lot better. I just bought a 8800GTX. Now I just need the rest. Fyi, I will just be using the one video card. No dual for me. One is plenty for most gaming.

Any and all setups would be appreciated.

johnstac

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007
When you say features, I'm not sure exactly what you are referring to. I have never overlocked but would like to do some of that. What else? Ok, well this computer will likely run 24/7 as I do some bid management as well so I really want a system that is bulletproof. For example, if the best mobo, cpu, and VC are only recommended to be used for shorter durations then I need to stay away from that. I do a lot of gaming. WoW, Oblivion, etc so gaming is a high priority. Budget? 3-5k.

What else? I ordered a 24" samsung monitor and that is on the way. I would also like to use my 19" sharp monitor as a second monitor for other programs.

Let me know if there is anything I haven't answered.

Cerro

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
I have a striker and it has been solid for me so far (touch wood). Only issue I had was when I initially recieved my board and it wouldn't boot. The older bios's didn't give out enough volts to the memory, so I had to play about with my ram to get it to boot and then change the bios settings. Supposedly this issue is fixed in the 901 Bios but since I got mine working (and later flashed to 901) and i'm overclocking I've no need for the "auto" setting I can't be sure. I am positive that the next Bios will address the Vcore settings issue but i'm not in that range anyway, so I haven't noticed.

Aside from that inconvince I've had no other problems and I'm sure once I get more experience with it I'll get the most out of it OC wise.

But then again, you might not see the need to get this board anymore!

BUFF

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2003
When you say features, I'm not sure exactly what you are referring to. I have never overlocked but would like to do some of that. What else?
Do you need Firewire, RAID, Crossfire/SLI ?

I'm presuming that you have the budget for a Striker but if you don't need to spend that much then you can divert the extra funds to other components or a good night out :lol:

johnstac

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007
That's exactly it. Sure, I have the budget but why but stuff if you won't take full advantage of it?

I work on the internet for a living but Dreamweaver and Photoshop are about as intense as it gets. My gaming would probably be a higher priority. WoW, Oblivion, Guild Wars. But does anything I have mentioned require more then one 8800GTX? If you believe that there is any game out there that requires more then one 8800GTX, please lmk what it is? This is important because the difference can get substantial when deciding between an SLI or an intel board.

I dont use firewire, I will use RAID and if someone could convince me that I need SKI/Crossfire, I would go there. I really want to use the EX6800. I feel my current setup justifies it. Take a look at where my current CPU ranks:

http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html?modelx=33&model1=430&model2=478&chart=165

It's pretty substantial and I believe I would notice the difference. I guess most of the decision comes down to whether I have a real need for Sli or not.

BUFF

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2003
what monitor are you going to run your games on & at what resolution etc.?
That's really what will decide whether you will see any benefit from SLIing 8800s. Imo you need to be running over 1600x1200 before even considering it.

johnstac

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007
Well, I decided on an EVGA board with an Intel 6700 and two 8800GTX. They will be run on a Samsung 24" monitor 1950x1200. Not sure what the exact resolution is on it but it was up there.

plonkaclunk

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
Well, I decided on an EVGA board with an Intel 6700 and two 8800GTX. They will be run on a Samsung 24" monitor 1950x1200. Not sure what the exact resolution is on it but it was up there.
That EVGA board is awesome.
Lots of people have made very respectable overclocks with it too (if your into that sort of thing)
Just make sure you get the BIOS update from the EVGA website to fix the hdd issues.
A mate of mine bought the Striker but i dont think its worth the price.
The EVGA board has been an awesome board for everything i want it to do.

InteliotInside

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
- EVGA 680i SLI mobo or the ASUS P5N32E (Striker's little brother)
- Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 or the Q6600 (multicore will be mainstream by mid year)
- 2GB of DDR2-800 RAM (Corsair, Crucial, OCZ and Patriot are most favorable)
- SLI 8800GTX (or you could wait for the X2900 XTX)
- 850w PSU (Silverstone, Thermaltake and OCZ look to be favourites)
- Two 36GB WD Raptors and two 250GB 7200RPM HDDs all in RAID0+1
- Tuniq Tower 120 CPU cooler
- Full tower case of your choice.

Killer rig right there.