Question Striped and solid color screen crashes during any type of GPU workload

johnx125

Honorable
Oct 10, 2017
I have a Sapphire R7 370 Nitro 4Gb about 5 years and it has been overclocked almost since day one (core 1020MHz, memory 1500MHz). So.. lately I've encountered this issue a number of times, whenever I play a game, watch a live stream etc, the computer crashes to a striped screen and any sound playback stops. It's very random, but it only happens when the GPU goes into 3d mode or does any type of work. It can't be a driver issue since I did a clean install of AMD Radeon Software 19.12.2 back in December and never had any issues until now. I could do a driver update, although I don't think it's gonna fix anything , the issue seems more hardware related to me... Also I don't think it has to do with the overclock because like I said the crash also happens when watching YouTube or twitch and during these the GPU only goes up to 925/1400 instead of the oc frequencies. The card makes good contact with the pci-e slot, I have reseated it and I even tried pushing it up and down and poking it while stress testing and nothing happened so pci-e slot is good. So it's either the GPU or the PSU that's dying. Right? Is there anything else I can check?

johnx125

Honorable
Oct 10, 2017

johnx125

Honorable
Oct 10, 2017
If you know the psu is questionable. replace it with a good quality one
Before I go ahead and buy a new PSU, is there any other possible cause for this problem, other than the ones I've ruled out? Also I cleaned the pci-e slot carefully with a very small brush and then blew any dust out. That should remove any kind of particles possibly stuck in the slot right?