finm

Prominent
Oct 8, 2019
I own a Dell XPS 15, and there appears to be some thermal issues with the CPU — all the cores run hot and seem to get automatically throttled to c. 20% of capacity. This is a known issue, and there doesn't seem to be an obvious software workaround. One potential fix is to apply some thermal paste to the CPU to reduce the temps and eliminate throttling. I bought the paste, but soon realised one of the T5 screws to open up the laptop has been stripped (the laptop was purchased second-hand). The rubber-band methods (etc.) didn't work, so I bought a screw extractor set. This comes with attachments which seem to be the right size, but I'm having absolutely no luck getting the screw to budge. I was wondering if anybody has experience with screw extractor sets — is there a possibility I could be using it wrong? Are T5 screws just soo small for this method? And does anybody know of an alternative method? I'll really entertain any idea under $50ish. Infuriating that one tiny stripped screw lies in the way of such a potentially simple fix! If I can't find a solution this I'll likely have to buy an entirely new computer. Thanks very much in advance for your help.

Ralston18

Titan
I would not try a screw extractor unless I had a drill press in order to maintain full and steady control. Even then the process would be tricky.

And that would be only as an absolute last resort.

---------

Any jewelers in your area? Take the laptop in and have them take a look at the stripped screw. They may have the knowledge and means to extract the screw.

May cost a bit but likely much less that a new computer. No harm in asking.....

finm

Prominent
Oct 8, 2019
I would not try a screw extractor unless I had a drill press in order to maintain full and steady control. Even then the process would be tricky.

And that would be only as an absolute last resort.

---------

Any jewelers in your area? Take the laptop in and have them take a look at the stripped screw. They may have the knowledge and means to extract the screw.

May cost a bit but likely much less that a new computer. No harm in asking.....

Thanks for the reply. Too late on the drill front unfortunately, but agreed that it doesn't seem like the right way to go. Won't re making any repeat attempts. Good idea re: jewelers, I'll have a think about that.

finm

Prominent
Oct 8, 2019
Remove all the screws around the stripped one that are holding down the same part. Then use a flat head screw driver to GENTLY pry up the part while attempting to unscrew the stubborn one.

A photo would be worth a lot in this scenario.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=t5+screw#kpvalbx=_7f2jX-WAAYbysQWyqYjQCw30

Thanks for the suggestion. Not exactly sure what you mean, however — would you mind elaborating?

Here's an image, for what it's worth:
Stripped-T5.jpg