STRIX 1080 TI not showing in BIOS

Casey87

Reputable
Jan 20, 2015
Hey,

I was lucky enough to get an Asus Strix 1080 Ti OC (used from Amazon, came with no anti-static bag, and was supposedly not tested by Amazon...) however the card is not showing up in the BIOS and therr is no signal to the screen. After trying multiple things I'm running out of ideas.

Rig as follows:
STRIX Z370 E-Gaming
i7 8700K 3.70GHz
750W PSU

Facts:

• I'm changing from AMD to Nvidia.
    DDU has been run in safe mode multiple times.
    CMOS cleared multiple times
    GPU is connected to PSU on a single 2x 6+2 pin
    Have also connected to 2x1 6+2 indstead
    I have changed from Auto to PCIe in BIOS
    BIOS has been updated
    I have disabled the OnBoard in Device Manager
    I have connected to HDMI, DVI and DP
    I have tried several PCI-E ports
Please note, I can't install the drivers, so that suggestion is mute.

At this point I'm running out of ideas, and I'm afraid that the GPU is either faulty, the MB does not support it (doubt it), it's not getting enough power (have tried two different methods), or I'm missing something completely.

Any ideas?

Solution
on your gpu can be a few issues. none related to you installing the gpu. the person before you may have tried to flash the rom of the gpu to get more speed or do an update and it failed and bricked the gpu. the card was shorted by the other people that owned it or ripped parts off the card during the install or they broke off during shipping. look for missing parts on the back of the card and smell the card see if it smells burnt. check the card close...see if someone may have put lable of the new gpu on a dead old gpu and sent it back. with a lot of gpu used to mine now a lot of them can fail from heat/use real quick. when they do die the vendor that doing the exchange need to tests the cards in a test bed to make sure they work. the...
on your gpu can be a few issues. none related to you installing the gpu. the person before you may have tried to flash the rom of the gpu to get more speed or do an update and it failed and bricked the gpu. the card was shorted by the other people that owned it or ripped parts off the card during the install or they broke off during shipping. look for missing parts on the back of the card and smell the card see if it smells burnt. check the card close...see if someone may have put lable of the new gpu on a dead old gpu and sent it back. with a lot of gpu used to mine now a lot of them can fail from heat/use real quick. when they do die the vendor that doing the exchange need to tests the cards in a test bed to make sure they work. the last thing to make sure is it not a bios bug. if your mb has the newest bios on it it should post.

Solution

Casey87

Reputable
Jan 20, 2015
Thank you both for the answers, this is not what I wanted to hear, but it's the deduction I came to myself, so having other people verify is a help.

I have sent the card back to Amazon, and has gone back on the track to find a NEW card - Sometimes it's just too good to be true, and I didn't want to think it could have been mined or bricked. I'll stick to my trusted 290X for now!

Casey87

Reputable
Jan 20, 2015
Yeah I'm counting on Turing being more interesting for hardcore cryptominers and other scoundrels, so hopefully the price on 1080s will normalise over a few days/weeks following launch. I just have to stay patient, BUT IT'S SO HARD!

TRENDING THREADS