[SOLVED] Strix B450 issue

Apr 5, 2021
B450 strix motherboard f 1 light above ram turns on about once in three weeks yellow, orange then red solid

About once every three weeks my computer shuts itself off I noticed that every time it does that a red light turns on above the ram slot. Idk what to do because it happens so rarely I can't test my computer to see what's wrong.
Spec: cpu ryzen 7 2700x
Gpu 2080x geforce gigabyte
Ram Corsair 2x16
B450 strix motherboard f-1

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
No. If it's a 500w psu, do not count on it being an actual 500w on the 12v rail. My old Seasonic 520w had only 480w on the 12v rail and it was one of the best in its day. I'd not be surprised to see anywhere from 460-480w tops. And you are pushing 450w at best. 1 good power spike from that gpu (they happen randomly) and you'll be well over 500w momentarily.

And that can happen at idle.

A good 650w is all that's really necessary. (that's not just a popularity contest between big name brands, they also put out some junk too).

Leds don't count. Argb uses the 5v rail, of which only really usb and storage uses, so any psu will have plenty to spare. RGB uses the 12v rail but you are looking at 3 fans = 12w. A fan and a strip are the...

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

We're going to need a little more information. Can you include the make and model of your PSU? You will also need to parse a link to the ram you're using. By LED's, can you tell what they are? I think you're referring to the debug LED.

On another note, can you get into BIOS and see what BIOS version you're on at the time of writing?

Apr 5, 2021
Not sure what brand but it's a 500w psu, I've already updated the bios but that never fix's it. The lights idk much about it's right above the ram slots, when ever my computer shuts itself off a red light would appear, but it only happens once in three weeks. But if I'm booting up my computer the light comes on I believe as yellow then disappears when my computer is fully booted up.

The PSU information is on the PSU itself on a small sticker/panel where you can see the watts, brand and model etc.

Did you buy that RTX 2080 as an upgrade?

500 watts is cutting it very close with that system and it could be why it's shutting down from time to time.

I'm pretty sure that your system at peak is trying to go over 500 watts or at least close to that. Depending to your PSU quality running a PSU close to 100% is not recommended anyway.

Apr 5, 2021
Alright, well I'll try a 750w psu. It will take a month to find out if that's the issue. I believe it is because if it's already pretty close to using it at 100%, I didn't mention I have six LED fans and one small LED strip. I believe I'll need a better psu anyway if it's bad to run it close to 100%. Without the led fans and led strip it uses 448watts about 89% of the power supply. Thank you for letting me know.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
No. If it's a 500w psu, do not count on it being an actual 500w on the 12v rail. My old Seasonic 520w had only 480w on the 12v rail and it was one of the best in its day. I'd not be surprised to see anywhere from 460-480w tops. And you are pushing 450w at best. 1 good power spike from that gpu (they happen randomly) and you'll be well over 500w momentarily.

And that can happen at idle.

A good 650w is all that's really necessary. (that's not just a popularity contest between big name brands, they also put out some junk too).

Leds don't count. Argb uses the 5v rail, of which only really usb and storage uses, so any psu will have plenty to spare. RGB uses the 12v rail but you are looking at 3 fans = 12w. A fan and a strip are the same thing. Maybe 24w total if you are (lucky?). Chump change. They are leds, not incandescent light bulbs. 0.02A per bulb.

Reactions: Nemesia
Solution
Apr 5, 2021
My friend has the same motherboard and is having the same issue but he doesn't have as good of a graphics card and some other components so he's not using that many watts so the power supply is not the problem

TRENDING THREADS