[SOLVED] Strix B550-F Recent BIOS Update(1401)? Get or no? (Ryzen 5600x)

Dec 13, 2020
I got the Ryzen 5600x about 3 weeks ago and had to flash my BIOS to version 1202 on my Strix B550-F for CPU support. I see a few days ago they released another BIOS update, 1401, that specifically says "New CPU Support" although all literature says 1202 is when support started for Ryzen 4th Gen. Should I update the BIOS to this 1401 from 1202? Thanks.

Solution
I agree with rgd1101.
Update to version 1401.
I have an Asus X470-F and I updated to a similar BIOS version for my MB (they have the new AGESA V2 PI 1.1.8.0).
I am using a 3700x but this new BIOS (AGESA version) works very well even for me.

I strongly recommend that you first go into the BIOS and set the Optimized Defaults (on the Exit Tab).
Then Save and reboot.
Then flash the new version from an FAT32 formatted USB stick using EZFlash (on the Tools Tab) from within the BIOS.
Then reboot and set the Optimized settings and save and reboot again.
Then enter the BIOS and change any settings you like, like DOCP profile, Enable PBO, set fan profiles, etc.
Then Save and Reboot again.

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
I agree with rgd1101.
Update to version 1401.
I have an Asus X470-F and I updated to a similar BIOS version for my MB (they have the new AGESA V2 PI 1.1.8.0).
I am using a 3700x but this new BIOS (AGESA version) works very well even for me.

I strongly recommend that you first go into the BIOS and set the Optimized Defaults (on the Exit Tab).
Then Save and reboot.
Then flash the new version from an FAT32 formatted USB stick using EZFlash (on the Tools Tab) from within the BIOS.
Then enter the BIOS and change any settings you like, like DOCP profile, Enable PBO, set fan profiles, etc.

Last edited:
Solution
Dec 13, 2020
Thanks much for the details. EZFlash is the way to go huh? Not Flashback? Using EZFlash can the stick be in any USB port(2.0/3.2Gen1/2)?

I agree with rgd1101.
Update to vcersion 1401.

Then Save and reboot.

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
I use a USB 2.0 stick in a USB 2.0 port.

You can use the FlashBack Button (also with an FAT32 USB 2.0 stick) BUT it is harder to tell if it's working and when it finished.
And sadly that can lead to some people turning off the PC (via the PSU switch) or pulling the USB stick out too early.
And then they have a Bad BIOS flash that may or may not be recoverable.
Here is a good guide if you do want to use the FlashBack Button:
[Motherboard] How to use USB BIOS FlashBack™? | Official Support | ASUS Global
(Notice that the FlashBack port is a USB 2.0 port and that they explicitly state to format the USB stick as FAT32.

EZFlash has a progress bar so you know exactly what is going on.
But either way be patient because it is a fairly slow process.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2020
I agree with rgd1101.
Update to version 1401.

Then Save and reboot.

Did it via EZFlash, everything went well. Thank you.

Reactions: DMAN999

Equlizer36

Reputable
Dec 18, 2016
I just checked the msi site and it seems they have taken down the 1401 bios. Should i flash back to the beta before or just leave it? I'm having ZERO issues with 1401 atm.

Dec 13, 2020
Well they came out with a 1601 and i flashed it. Best bios so far but now when i looked it was taken down as well. WTF?

I'm still on 1401 which was not in beta when I decided to use it and then it was removed a week later. I haven't had any issues with it, AFAIK. The lack of transparency is shocking to me. A simple explanation would be great from ASUS. Makes me question how other manufacturers tech support is. Side note, I had to contact Cooler Master with possibly the simplest question on Earth, their reply left my jaw hanging for a good 5 minutes, lol. Luckily I found my answer on YouTube.

TRENDING THREADS