Question Strix G17 AMD Advantage FPS Drops

TheMightySquelch

Commendable
Mar 25, 2022
Hi guys, wanted to ask if any of you experienced this or know any solutions.

Got a Strix G17 AMD Advantage (R9 5900HX + RX6800M) laptop thru 2nd hand purchase. It looked okay, no cosmetic issues, screen is okay, speakers and keys still immaculate. Battery has 11% wear, I can live with that. Cleaned the fans a a bit and removed a bit of dust.

Formatted the device (but WIN10 only) and installed and updated all drivers, and it was performing alright but when I tested my first game (Apex Legends), it would drop the frames from a stable 140-150fps down to 20fps and checked the wattage for both CPU & GPU, it did drop from 150W down to 26-30W. This happened every after 3-4mins ad lasted for 3-5secs, while in-game and while on idle.

Used a different power brick (from a Scar 17) and it still happened. Re-formatted the unit and still presented itself.

Have no guesses yet and a bit tired from work when I did the testing. Just wanted to get your inputs guys.

A bit of good luck, as I checked it is still under warranty but have to verify with ASUS.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
Formatted the device (but WIN10 only)
Where did you source the installer for your OS?

and installed and updated all drivers,
Did you install all relevant drivers for your platform manually in an elevated command after you'd installed the OS in offline mode?

BIOS updates pending on your laptop?

Lutfij

Titan
Formatted the device (but WIN10 only)

and installed and updated all drivers,
Did you install all relevant drivers for your platform manually in an elevated command after you'd installed the OS in offline mode?

Reactions: TheMightySquelch
Solution

TheMightySquelch

Commendable
Mar 25, 2022
USB Creation Tool of Win10 from the website.

I'd like to say yes (see below for stupid explanation)

None yet, latest as of last check with MyAsus.

Went back into the in-game settings to check again. Out of the blue, I set the Vertical Sync to 'Dynamic' instead of 'Disabled' and for an hour, it performed well, no drops. Moved on to test Rainbow Six Siege, had stable 90-100+ FPS. So might just be my stupid self, hehehe. A bit weird, did not experience this setting on the Delta 15 with 6700M.

Appreciate the response and interest.