Question Strix Vega 64 VRM and Performance

Nov 16, 2018
I’ve had the strix vega 64 card for 3 months now and have noticed that no matter what I do with the card it never reaches its boost clocks. I’ve upped the power limit 50%, undervolted to 1100mV, ramped the fan up to 100% and even tried overclocking it with to try and reach the speeds, but they always drop down. My GPU temps are fine, so are my HBM temps as both never reach over 75C in extreme benchmarks such as furmark, superposition etc. Yet I still never get past 1540mhz. I’m led to believe that it’s either throttling due to the GPU Hotspot temp, as it reaches around 90C+ (not entirely sure where the sensor I should placed) and the VDDC VRM temps reach almost 100C in casual gaming such as Destiny 2 and went as far as 115C in superposition. What I’m wondering is whether this is the problem of the clock speeds not boosting very far at all, whether any of you have gained performance by replacing the thermal pad(to which I heard are bad thermal pad), and whether these temperatures are bad for the GPU? I have asked ASUS about the VRM max temps, and they told be that they throttle at 125C, which I am finding hard to believe.

What are your experiences with replacing the thermal pad, and is it worth voiding the warranty to do so?*

Mind your language! This is a family friendly site.
Vulgarity in anagram form will not be tolerated.
Lutfij

Last edited by a moderator:

Lutfij

Titan
Can you please list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

How is your airflow in the case? You may want to contact Asus and see if you're voiding warranty by replacing the thermal pad on the card. EVGA mention that so long as you return the card with it's (factory)cooler regardless of what thermal pad or paste you add later on, you're RMA will not be cancelled.

Lutfij

Titan
Can you please list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

How is your airflow in the case? You may want to contact Asus and see if you're voiding warranty by replacing the thermal pad on the card. EVGA mention that so long as you return the card with it's (factory)cooler regardless of what thermal pad or paste you add later on, you're RMA will not be cancelled.

Nov 16, 2018
CPU : R5 2600@4GHz
MSI b450 gaming pro carbon
Adata XPG Spektrix D41 3000 2*8
Western digital blue 250gb ssd 1tb HDD
RX Vega 64 Strix
600W 80+ gold
NZXT H500
Windows 10 Pro

In regards to my case I've removed all of the PCI brackets by the GPU. The case is stock although I have both case fans ramped up to 100%. Judging by gamers nexus review on it the case is average in terms of GPU cooling.

I also contacted ASUS about replacing the thermal pad, they replied with saying that it will since I would have to disassemble the card which will void the warranty.