Question Strix X370-F vs Crosshair VI Hero for upcoming Ryzen 3000

kingeri

Commendable
Mar 24, 2017
Hi all, I currently have these AM4 boards:
-Asus Strix X370-F Gaming
-Asus Crosshair VI Hero

These are obviously both X370 boards. I am in the process of re-arranging my systems pending the arrival of the 3900X. I am not getting an X570 board, so one of these boards will be receiving the new Zen 2 CPU, the other will get my existing 2700X. I just can't decide which way around to do it....

I know the obvious higher-end board is the Hero, but I have actually had better success with memory overclocking with the Strix. I really need to get the 2700X system back up and running soon, so need to decide pre-launch.

I suppose the question is.....based on all info currently available.....what would you put where, and why?

Thanks guys

Although AMD promised compatibility with x370 chipset it's still up to MB manufacturers to provide BIOS. on x370 boards even 2nd gen is not guaranteed to work.
That Asus Strix X370-F Gaming has only one BIOS for R3:

Version 4801 2019/05/1010.05 MBytes
ROG STRIX X370-F GAMING BIOS 4801
Update AM4 ComboPI 0.0.7.2A for next-gen processors and to improve CPU compatibility

If you have to get a new MB get one with x470 chipset., it will work out of the box with gen2 Ryzen and is generally better for high speed RAM compatibility.
Despite it's high price C6H has a lot of issues with sensors and RAM compatibility.

Lutfij

Titan
I wouldn't get the X370 chipset even if I was paid to get them. Why? Because the boards of teh 300 series lacked adeuate VRM's and power delivery to cope with the higher power draw of the 2nd Gen Ryzen processors/APU's. If you're going with stock clocks and not going for any mild overclocking or even going into XFR, then the 300 series boards are fine. If you are going to go beyond the box, then the boards will fail.

FYI, B450 chipset is a better proposition if you're not going to go for a multi GPU loadout on your build.

kingeri

Commendable
Mar 24, 2017
Both boards are on the Asus list for getting Zen 2 BIOS updates. Looks like I might just end up biting the bullet and getting an X570 board.....my thinking is that if I end up getting a new board anyway.....may as well get the latest and skip X470. As for the VRMs....I thought both boards would be well up to the job...the Hero has 8+4.....doesn't it? Are the Zen 2 CPUs really going to draw significantly more power than Zen+???

I don't like the idea of reinstalling Windows on a new board.....I've got so much stuff installed, and it's set up just as I like it.....wouldn't fancy starting from scratch. Hence, a drop in replacement is very appealing.

Last edited: