estaba_79

Prominent
Jan 10, 2018
Hello!!
I just bought a Core i8700k and 16gb Ballistix Elite 4000mhz
And i have a doubt for my next step.

What you recommend me to do?

Buy A 260 dollar Mother board?
Or Buy a cheaper Motherboard and more Ram?

I have a GTX 1070 and a SSD for the programs.

I use my machine for video and photo editing, and also Gaming. But the important thing here is work.

Thanks!

Solution
Depends on whether you want to Overclock your i7-8700K.
A decent MB with good VRM phase and caps is the way to go for Overclocking. If you don't intend an OC then a cheaper board is OK for gaming.
You probably will want to OC for large video and rendering files.

BTW: Your CPU officially supports DDR4-2666Mhz RAM so 4000MHz is quite a lot to ask of the IMC. You may have issues without Bios intervention for Primary Timings and DRAM Voltage.
Depends on whether you want to Overclock your i7-8700K.
A decent MB with good VRM phase and caps is the way to go for Overclocking. If you don't intend an OC then a cheaper board is OK for gaming.
You probably will want to OC for large video and rendering files.

BTW: Your CPU officially supports DDR4-2666Mhz RAM so 4000MHz is quite a lot to ask of the IMC. You may have issues without Bios intervention for Primary Timings and DRAM Voltage.

Solution

AniChatt

Distinguished

It is totally unwise to buy a cheaper mobo for that high end cpu. Since you have invested so much on ram and cpu if you buy a cheaper mobo it will be a rather imbalanced system. Keeping in mind the turbo boost and superb IPC of i7 8700K you don't need to oc it right now. However as you get more matured on your build you will eventually try to overclock it and at that time you will regret. Buy a good mobo with decent vrm design to handle such cpu. Don't waste your money for cheap mobos.

Edit: Also you need to buy a good air cooler/aio to properly cool the 8700k as it generates so much heat during high overclock. Corsair going to release there new gen aios as per CES2018. It has newer gen Astek pump that will also stop fan and monitors fluid temp to regulate fan speed. Just included it if you miss something.

So far as I know, all motherboards that are available now that support a I7-8700K use the Z370 chipset.
That is what you want anyway. Overclocking a K can gain you some 20% more performance.
The motherboard itself need not be expensive unless you are intent on maximum overclocks or need some other feature like wifi.

If you have a debate about ram, buy what you will eventually need up front.
Likely that is a 2 x 8gb kit.
Speed is not that important.
Upgrading ram later is not 100% guaranteed to work.

estaba_79

Prominent
Jan 10, 2018

hi! I have a Hyper 212 EVO, im not planning to OC. Perhaps in a while. You think this will do, for now?

For now, the hyper212 will do the job.

But... pay attention to your case and cooling.
Any cooler needs a source of fresh air to do it's job.
two 120/140mm front intakes at least.

When the time comes for a cooler upgrade, look at the noctua NH-D15s for about $85.

FWIW:
My canned rant on liquid cooling:
------------------------start of rant-------------------
You buy a liquid cooler to be able to extract an extra multiplier or two out of your OC.
How much do you really need?
I do not much like all in one liquid coolers when a good air cooler like a Noctua or phanteks can do the job just as well.
A liquid cooler will be expensive, noisy, less reliable, and will not cool any better
in a well ventilated case.
Liquid cooling is really air cooling, it just puts the heat exchange in a different place.
The orientation of the radiator will cause a problem.
If you orient it to take in cool air from the outside, you will cool the cpu better, but the hot air then circulates inside the case heating up the graphics card and motherboard.
If you orient it to exhaust(which I think is better) , then your cpu cooling will be less effective because it uses pre heated case air.
And... I have read too many tales of woe when a liquid cooler leaks.
google "H100 leak"
I would support an AIO cooler only in a space restricted case.
-----------------------end of rant--------------------------

Your pc will be quieter, more reliable, and will be cooled equally well with a decent air cooler.

estaba_79

Prominent
Jan 10, 2018

Thanks Geo! Ive been looking, the Seidon 120V, its better than the evo 212? Right now, im putting all my buck in the hardware. So im a little short for upgrade the Cooling.

What is your case?

Yes, the seidon 120v is better than the hyper212. But, not by much.
That assumes that you have a good place to mount the 120mm radiator.

Think about it.
The water block and pump will do a good job of transferring heat to the radiator which is 120mm.
From there, the liquid has heat removed and exits the case, driven by a 120mm fan.

That is essentially no different from a tower type air cooler with a 120mm fan.
Yes, it is a bit more efficient, but not importantly so.
Both will be relatively noisy since the 120mm fan will need to spin up for maximum cooling.

I would not bother with a stronger cooler, at least not initially.
Buy a good case first.

Then, if you seek maximum overclocks, consider better cooling.
A I7-8700K is a very strong processor at stock.

For the very best cooler, look at the noctua NH-D15s.
It has twin cooling towers and a very good 140mm fan.
The s variant coolers have been redesigned to cleat tall ram, but more importantly,
they are offset to clear graphics cards mounted in the first pcie x16 slot.
Best of all, they are quiet and can be made quieter via the included low noise adapters.

As an alternative, if you have 165mm height available, the NH-U14s will be $65.

estaba_79

Prominent
Jan 10, 2018

I have a Cooler Master CM 690 II

http://www.coolermaster.com/case/mid-tower/cm-690-ii-ver-2/

Your case, so far as I can tell has provision only for a single 120mm front intake.
That is insufficient for cooling of a hot gpu and cpu.
Initially, you will be ok at stock speeds for both.
You could install a much stronger front intake fan, perhaps 3000 rpm to get more air into the case at the expense of more noise.

Try it and see how you do.
Do not worry about temperatures, the cpu will slow down of power off if it detects a dangerous temperature.
That is around 100c.
A temporary fix would be to remove the side covers and direct a house fan at the innards.

I would buy a more modern case with provision for two 140mm front fans that can be filtered.
If all the intake air comes from one source and is filtered, your parts will stay clean.

$50-$70 should buy you a top case.

estaba_79

Prominent
Jan 10, 2018

I have almost this configuration of airflow. With this changes.

http://cdn.overclock.net/4/46/466386fd_vbattach211857.jpeg

The 2 top ones, are taking air out.
The hyper 212 only have 1 fan.
And the Fan that is where the DVD goes, i dont have it. (i tink i could remove the HDD fan, and put it where the DVD goes.

What do you think?

Thanks, for your help-

The specs say one 120mm fan position in front.
If you are able to mount a 140mm fan, great. that will move more air at a lower rpm.
Using the top bays for a 120mm intake fan can make your case work.
The key is to get air INTO the case.
What comes in will exit the case somewhere, taking heat with it.

I am not so certain of the value of the two top exhaust fans.
I think you could omit them.

I think I would like to see the airflow being directed past the cpu cooler and out the back of the case.
A single fan on the hyper212 is OK; you get only a minor benefit of a second, but it could not hurt.

The fan behind the dvd cage will not help much; Good plan to move it to the top front panel area.
Such adapters are available, and should not be expensive.

If there are any mounts in the dvd cage that are unused, see if you can't take them out to make intake airflow smoother.

estaba_79

Prominent
Jan 10, 2018

Again, thanks for your time.

I have no DVD in the CPU. That why i thought to place a 14mm in there.(removing the one next to the HDD, and placing it there)
I will try what you propose and change the upper fans, and make them take air in.

Question. The only air exit, will be, the rear 12mm fan. Thats ok? Oh, and the air that exit trough the 1070.