Strobe Light for 4-10+ Miles

c hore wrote:
> Is there such a thing, either battery or AC powered?
>
> The only ones that I have been able to find that have
> a distance spec is this one (for up to 3 miles):
> http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=883
> http://www.theledlight.com/strobes.html
>
> What do air traffic control towers use, and what
> is their visibility range and cost?

I know nothing about strobe lights, but I live where I can see perhaps
18 miles to the horizon. The strobe lights used on many school buses
are clearly capable of the visibility you need; these are most visible
during the dark winter months, of course.

I used to occasionally order one, forget manufactures names. usually twin
bulb automatic change over if a bulb or unit fails and with battery back
up - few hundred bucks a long time ago. Fed Aviation Approval labels,,,
don't ever recall a spec for total distance in miles but certainly FAA has
candlepower or some lumen type light level rating required.

"c hore" <carhore@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Is there such a thing, either battery or AC powered?
>
> The only ones that I have been able to find that have
> a distance spec is this one (for up to 3 miles):

http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=883
> http://www.theledlight.com/strobes.html
>
> What do air traffic control towers use, and what
> is their visibility range and cost?

search
aircraft warning light
you'll find plenty
if that's what you're asking & want for a tower