[SOLVED] Strong Bottleneck - Is this a worthy upgrade?

donuttb

Honorable
Dec 10, 2017
Hi, I'm currently debating if I should upgrade or not.

My current rig is

CPU: I7 4790k

Mobo: H81m-c

Ram: 8gb DDR3 1600mhz

PSU: Corsair 600w platinum

GPU: Gigabyte 2060 OC

The issue I'm having is I noticed I wasn't able to reach a solid 144 FPS on my old 1060 in the games I played (R6, CoD MW, WoW etc) so I looked at benchmarks and saw the 2060 can ultra most of these at 144, so in turn I bought an RTX 2060 and a 1080p 144hz monitor. However when I installed the GPU, booted up windows installed drivers etc, both R6 and CoD where only hitting about 120-130 FPS with everything uncapped, on lower settings than I had on my 1060, this is also lower FPS than on my 1060, although my monitor is now 144hz and my GPU is a newer generation, I'm getting lesser FPS with a kit that should frankly be so much better.

the only games I predominantly play are R6 and CoD MW - and with my 1060 I was able to run them on medium at about 100fps @1080p on my 144hz monitor, however now I've switched to my 2060 and set the display to 144hz I get about 120 at lower settings with insane drops in fps from 130 to 1fps, so I took a look in the task manager and saw my CPU and RAM was hitting 100% usage at the exact times I was dropping. I can see why my RAM may max out as its old and slow and not that much now adays. But how come the 4790k - I've seen it fairly compete fairly well still - especially regarding FPS in games, when swapped out for new chips there only seems to be a 2-3 fps increase from what I've seen.

Would upgrading to the Ryzen 7 3700x stop this bottleneck issue or not really? - this upgrade would inturn lead to 16GB DDR4 3600mhz? or would a 3800x be a more worth choice? Thanks.

Last edited:
Solution
If you were truly "bottlenecked" by the CPU, you'd see the same performance as the 1060, not worse.
A 4790K is still a respectable CPU and, while newer/higher core count CPUs would see gains in most cases, it shouldn't strictly be necessary.

Don't lower settings, as that's putting more strain on the CPU. If you use the same settings, what do you see?

With CPU/RAM maxing out at 100%, that would explain frame drops/stutter etc. Do you have anything additional running in the background?

8GB of RAM is pretty low in 2019. I would expect you'd see improvements simply from upgrading to 2x8GB (speed doesn't matter too much with DDR3/Intel)... and should be doable for pretty cheap on the used market.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
If you were truly "bottlenecked" by the CPU, you'd see the same performance as the 1060, not worse.
A 4790K is still a respectable CPU and, while newer/higher core count CPUs would see gains in most cases, it shouldn't strictly be necessary.

Don't lower settings, as that's putting more strain on the CPU. If you use the same settings, what do you see?

With CPU/RAM maxing out at 100%, that would explain frame drops/stutter etc. Do you have anything additional running in the background?

8GB of RAM is pretty low in 2019. I would expect you'd see improvements simply from upgrading to 2x8GB (speed doesn't matter too much with DDR3/Intel)... and should be doable for pretty cheap on the used market.

Solution

Giannis_Mag

Reputable
May 24, 2017
If you had a bottleneck situation you would see no fps deference in same game settings, or see just a small improvement. Check out if you have the latest gpu drivers°You should delete completely the old drivers and install the new ones. . If yes...then its a wierd botleneck problem(maybe cause its Rtx? ¿. Dont really know). As previous comment suggest, 2x8GB of the fastest ddr3 ram will help. Otherwise you should upgrade to ddr4 platform.

donuttb

Honorable
Dec 10, 2017

Hi, Thanks for the response

With my 1060 i'd have a triple display set up with a variety of opera tabs - yt vids and maybe steam downloading in the back etc - no streaming or what ever, casual use however with my 2060 I only had discord and the game open,. When at the same settings as my 1060 I couldn't run at all, it, my cpu and ram hit 100% every other second - I'm confused as I got smoother performance on my 1060. Turning the settings down lead to less freezing also less fps than before.

Thanks