[SOLVED] Strong build but fps struggles

Jun 11, 2019
HI tomshardware folks, I've been having issues with fps struggling in everything I play with my build that I believe shouldn't be struggling at all to play games at high settings. The low framerate occurs before anything intensive happens in a game at all and I don't notice high cpu/gpu/ram usage or high temperatures while I'm gaming. For example I get 20 to 30fps in Terraria at max settings and my build is as follows

Mobo: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
CPU: Intel i7-8700K Coffee Lake
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6GB GDRR6
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws 2 x 8GB
PSU: Rosewill 750W Gold
Drives: 1 250GB SSD with my OS & 1 1TB SSD for etc.
I also use a monitor that displays at 2560 x 1440 resolution with a 144hz refresh rate

I see no reason why I should be having any issues running something as simple as Terraria but the issue persists even on all my other titles... I've reinstalled drivers and even my entire OS multiple times to no avail and I really am not sure what the issue could be anymore. My mobo and some other parts are turning a year old pretty soon and I started noticing the issues about 6 months ago. If I could post any other information to help feel free to let me know what I can do. I'm at my wits end with trying to resolve this

Last edited:
Solution
Okay so I don't know if anyone is viewing this thread anymore but I found out that for whatever reason my motherboard was only utilizing about 30% of the strength from my graphics card. Since my motherboard is capable of SLI I decided I could move my graphics card to the lower port on the board. In doing the process I also had to remove my wireless network card to make space for my 1660 Ti to fit. So I'm not sure if an issue was being created with my network card or the port that was previously being used to read my GPU but my issue is resolved! Thanks again anyone who stopped by.
Jun 11, 2019
I realized my BIOS hadn't been updated at all so I went ahead and did that process but still having the same issue unfortunately, been messing around with my drivers but no luck... I've been mostly focusing on graphics card drivers, should I mess with other ones?

Jun 11, 2019
It might also be worth noting that in a game like Borderlands 2 my fps counter varies from 70 to 100 (which I still feel is low for my build) but with consistent stuttering effect that makes the game near unplayable

Jun 11, 2019
Hey thanks for the pointer, been busy with work, but I appreciate it.
Put memtest on a flash and let it run its test for 3 hours but after it finished it reported no errors. I also tried scanning my drive with Seagate Tools for Windows and that came back all green for both of my drives. I think I'll borrow an SSD from a friend just to confirm that my drives aren't the issue but I'm pretty sure that they are working well.

Jun 11, 2019
Okay so I don't know if anyone is viewing this thread anymore but I found out that for whatever reason my motherboard was only utilizing about 30% of the strength from my graphics card. Since my motherboard is capable of SLI I decided I could move my graphics card to the lower port on the board. In doing the process I also had to remove my wireless network card to make space for my 1660 Ti to fit. So I'm not sure if an issue was being created with my network card or the port that was previously being used to read my GPU but my issue is resolved! Thanks again anyone who stopped by.

Solution