Strongest home wifi system

Abe_FX35

Commendable
Sep 28, 2016
Hello all,

I am in desperate need of some help,need high end performance mesh networking for my family home. The internet is pretty crappy at times using mobile data 4GLTE hotspots and those plain isp modem routers are horrible. I need something to help the range, speed and responsiveness to the internet and local lan/wifi at home. I also will run a Plex server and other gaming devices. So far I'm thinking Netgear orbi wifi system ? (Ac3000, 3 satellites) ? I currently have Netgear nighthawk r7000 and it may not do the trick im leaving the country soon so I need to buy it asap and pack it, to goin home I'm moving to, all thick big concrete walls , 6k+ SQ foot home.

Please advise, thank you.

If your internet is coming in via 4glte then the problem is not a "wifi" problem. Although they are both wireless the signal are completely independent.

You first need to get a usable signal from the ISP in your house. In many cases you need outdoor equipment so it can get better signal from the cell tower. This is one of those thing you are best asking the ISP for a recommendation. I tends to be rather tricky to match which equipment is compatible with the ISP systems.

Abe_FX35

Commendable
Sep 28, 2016

Yes I understand about the ISP equipment, but let's take the ISP out of the picture and just go with a strong/fast wifi system to cover a very large home with cement walls. I will be running my Plex server through out the house to wireless devices and file transfers. I'm not a network genius so I need something powerful and relatively easy to setup.

The actual power the radios put out is regulated by the government. Most routers put out the legal maximum so their ability to go though a concrete wall is very similar. Concrete is pretty much the worst case it will block most of even the strongest signals.

You also have to remember that that the router is only half the problem. The tiny antenna and radios in say a cell phone have issue sending signals back.

The mesh systems are not really a solution to your problem. They are basically fancy repeater systems. They are dependent on receiving a good signal and then re transmitting it. If the signal is very weak getting through the wall the repeater part will now have a damaged signal and it can't actually make it better.

The solution that tends to work best is the one that has been used for years by commercial installations. You use wires to get through the concrete walls and then place AP or a router running as a AP in the rooms you get poor signal levels from the main router. Many newer houses have ethernet cables run to all rooms. So all you do it put AP in those rooms and hook them back to the main router. If you do not have ethernet you could look at using powerline units to provide that function. There are also systems that use coax tv cable called moca but these are kinda expensive.

When you deal with a large concrete house wifi is going to be horrible. The good news I guess is it also blocks a lot of the interfering signals from coming in from your neighbors.