Question Structured media enclosure restrictions

waylonrobert

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2011
Trying to design my network for my new construction house build (1-story, 3k sq. ft.; I posted more details a few days ago). Builder is putting in a structured media enclosure (Legrand On-Q) in the laundry room where all cables terminate (see photos).

I have 20 CAT6 (2 drops in each room, dedicated WAP, and security cameras), and there is also 20 coax cables I probably won’t use unless we get satellite for sports (because builder upgrade package for data combo’d data and coax).

Estimating right now I’ll need a switch that supports at least 6 PoE+, but the form factor is the biggest issue. When factoring in a patch panel, router, and switch, this box is going to be packed.

Looking for creative ideas and equipment recommendations here. As a result of the lack of depth, plus door opening, a rack or rack-sized hardware will not work as far as I can tell, so I’m probably looking at “desktop” equipment.

I’ve attached some photos of the house model for context.

Appreciate any input!

uPpPu6Q.jpg

Facing laundry room. Door opens to the left.

RxQ6KqE.jpg

I assume there is at least 1 power plug in that box otherwise it is going to be a lot harder.

I would add a small UPS to your list of equipment.

Although a little had to configure sometime microtik makes switch with lots of ports that are inexpensive. This one is fairly small and can run to 60C. Note it is not poe but can be powered by poe which is interesting
https://mikrotik.com/product/crs326_24g_2s_in
This also can run as a router but I am unsure what the data rate it can run at when it is running as a router. Home routers have a hardware nat accelerator that lets them run gbit speeds.

a single desktop switch would be the optimum technical solution. Problem is they are big, expensive, and even more so with poe ports in them. You also must consider ventilation issues, may of these have fans.

Unless you think it is a performance issue you might consider a number of smaller switches hooked together. The issue is you are then limited to the 1gbit connection between the switches so you need to look at what data patterns you have between equipment.
With a single big switch it uses the backplane and most modern equipment can run all port at full speed simultaneous.

Hard to say what to do. It will be a lot cleaner to use a patch panel to terminate the data drops but then you have the space it takes for the panel as well as the jumper cable between the panel and switch. You could to save space have all the cables with rj45 plugs and run them directly to a switch.

Since you have 2 drops in every room what you might do is put the router in a different room. This would allow for more central placement of wifi and have one less box in the cabinet. What you would do is run 1 ethernet from the modem ( which I assume is going in that box) to the wan port of the remote router. Then hook a lan port from the router to the other cable and run it back to the switch(es) in the box.

For the coax they make cabinet mounts splitters that you connect them to. They are not huge devices but do take up some space.

This is more looking at equipment and figuring out what will fit. The technical part is pretty easy you just hook everything together in one way or another. In some ways it would be nice if there was more ventilation in that door. I assume it is plastic, metal would be nicer since it would radiate heat out. When you first get this running I would place a small thermometer in there to see what temps you are running. Most equipment can run pretty hot but if you run it at max all the time it likely cuts its life.

Last edited:
Reactions: waylonrobert

waylonrobert

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2011
I assume there is at least 1 power plug in that box otherwise it is going to be a lot harder.

I would add a small UPS to your list of equipment.

Although a little had to configure sometime microtik makes switch with lots of ports that are inexpensive. This one is fairly small and can run to 60C. Note it is not poe but can be powered by poe which is interesting
https://mikrotik.com/product/crs326_24g_2s_in
This also can run as a router but I am unsure what the data rate it can run at when it is running as a router. Home routers have a hardware nat accelerator that lets them run gbit speeds.

a single desktop switch would be the optimum technical solution. Problem is they are big, expensive, and even more so with poe ports in them. You also must consider ventilation issues, may of these have fans.

Unless you think it is a performance issue you might consider a number of smaller switches hooked together. The issue is you are then limited to the 1gbit connection between the switches so you need to look at what data patterns you have between equipment.
With a single big switch it uses the backplane and most modern equipment can run all port at full speed simultaneous.

Hard to say what to do. It will be a lot cleaner to use a patch panel to terminate the data drops but then you have the space it takes for the panel as well as the jumper cable between the panel and switch. You could to save space have all the cables with rj45 plugs and run them directly to a switch.

Since you have 2 drops in every room what you might do is put the router in a different room. This would allow for more central placement of wifi and have one less box in the cabinet. What you would do is run 1 ethernet from the modem ( which I assume is going in that box) to the wan port of the remote router. Then hook a lan port from the router to the other cable and run it back to the switch(es) in the box.

For the coax they make cabinet mounts splitters that you connect them to. They are not huge devices but do take up some space.

This is more looking at equipment and figuring out what will fit. The technical part is pretty easy you just hook everything together in one way or another. In some ways it would be nice if there was more ventilation in that door. I assume it is plastic, metal would be nicer since it would radiate heat out. When you first get this running I would place a small thermometer in there to see what temps you are running. Most equipment can run pretty hot but if you run it at max all the time it likely cuts its life.
Thank you! Lots to consider.