[SOLVED] Struggling to ínstall GPU

Aug 31, 2019
Hey, I'm building my first PC and have installed everything except the video card, but I'm having trouble installing the card into the PCI-E slot on the motherboard. I've unlocked the clip but the connector doesn't fit all the way into the slot. I think it's because I can't get the "teeth" of the rear bracket to go down into the case. Even though I've been careful I can see some scratches on the motherboard where I've tried to fit the teeth into the case, so I'm worried I've damaged it. It feels like it should be a really simple process, am I missing something obvious?

Specs
MB: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite
GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Rog Strix
Case: Fractal Define r6

Images

aLexf3C.jpg

NHYt1uo.jpg

3AemE06.jpg

PV42fWJ.jpg

Solution
Yeah, there are all standardized parts which fit in the same way, every time. It's hard to see from the photos exactly what you're doing wrong; only see that it's a bit off from where it ought to be. And if by the teeth, you mean the silver part that screw into the slot retaining mechanism, those shouldn't be sinking into the case because they need to be screwed in whatever retaining mechanism your case has.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Yeah, there are all standardized parts which fit in the same way, every time. It's hard to see from the photos exactly what you're doing wrong; only see that it's a bit off from where it ought to be. And if by the teeth, you mean the silver part that screw into the slot retaining mechanism, those shouldn't be sinking into the case because they need to be screwed in whatever retaining mechanism your case has.

Solution
Aug 31, 2019
I tried it again and it finally clicked into place, don't know what I did wrong previously. Thanks for the help, I've embarrassingly enough seriously been stuck on this for hours.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I tried it again and it finally clicked into place, don't know what I did wrong previously. Thanks for the help, I've embarrassingly enough seriously been stuck on this for hours.

Glad to hear. It's a frustrating issue; because of the standardization, unless you forgot to open a clip or something, there's not a lot of advice to be able to give than "make sure it's lined up properly," which can seem like maddeningly inadequate advice.

Reactions: bakemono92