[SOLVED] Struggling to boot

Thischimp

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2014
Morning all,

So last week I tested my new components putnof the box and everything worked fine, yesterday I drained my loop and the motherboard and cpu over in my case knowing it works from last week. I've put everything together and when I turned it on the led light on my strix b550 mobo lit up but the pc wouldn't boot, I've tried everything. After almost a day of scratching my head I took everything out and put it together in my case without the water-cooled parts in and it worked fine and booted. Now I've put the water-cooled parts back it im having the same problem with not booting, can anyone help?

Solution
Your post reminds me of many others. This MAY be linked to another matter entirely - stand-offs. The tip-off to me was that it all works just fine OUT of the case on a dry surface, but acts like there is a power problem or short circuit when in the case. See my post of Dec 12, 2020 in another thread here

https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...sult-in-a-lose-of-data.3670519/#post-22107308

It was written for someone planning to move the system to a new case, but the whole thing also applies to building a new system. Proper placement of stand-offs is NECESSARY to avoid shorting to Ground (the case) any traces on the BOTTOM of the mobo.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Your post reminds me of many others. This MAY be linked to another matter entirely - stand-offs. The tip-off to me was that it all works just fine OUT of the case on a dry surface, but acts like there is a power problem or short circuit when in the case. See my post of Dec 12, 2020 in another thread here

https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...sult-in-a-lose-of-data.3670519/#post-22107308

It was written for someone planning to move the system to a new case, but the whole thing also applies to building a new system. Proper placement of stand-offs is NECESSARY to avoid shorting to Ground (the case) any traces on the BOTTOM of the mobo.

Solution

Thischimp

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2014

I have double checked the mounting screws as this was my first thought because I've done this before.. I have taken the pc back to basics and have the mobo, stock cpu cooler and a spare gpu. Plugged everything is with my newer psu and had no joke, then changed to my old psu and it works? When I text me newer psu it all works fine. Honestly put of ideas