Question Struggling to figure out the correct upgrade

Jun 15, 2019
Hello,

I recently have been struggling to run Apex Legends on my PC. Granted I don't have any sort of build or haven't made any major upgrades yet. I'd like to improve my computers performance. I can run certain games and most programs without difficulty with the occasional delay when clicking through spotify.

I would like to improve performance but am not sure where to go considering I'm not too familiar with computer specs and how it all comes together. Any help regarding how to learn what's compatible or should be focused on or a recommendation of what specific part(s) to get. My understanding so far is that a CPU upgrade should be the next thing to go for.

Here are the specs I have. I've only replaced a couple of parts in this HP pavilion 500-054 https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03769164 :

CPU: AMD A8 5500
Memory: DDR3 SDRAM
Motherboard: MS-7778
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 950
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 550 W 80+

I'm looking for a direction for improving my computer's performance. I'm not too familiar with how to upgrade PC's and how to understand what parts are better than others but would like to learn more by adding more to my current computer.

Thank you!

It would be pretty much like beating a dead horse, specially because it's a brand name, ready made computer with limited upgrade possibilities. According to this list https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03769164 best CPU would be AMD A10 6800K (Richland) Quad Core with 4.4GHz boost speed. For any better GPU you'd most probably have to upgrade PSU too and still wouldn't be any better considering obsolete CPU and whole platform.

Reactions: DMAN999
Jun 15, 2019
That's understandable being the age of the computer and its ability in comparison to what's readily available today. I'll look into the CPU you've suggested as a temporary upgrade that'll work until replacing it with a full new unit.

Thank you for your hasty response! I apologize for the tardiness of mine.