Question Struggling to find a solution to constant AMD system crashes

Xfsec

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2015
Hey guys, I am running out of ideas trying to troubleshoot a problem that quite frankly is driving me insane, it has been bothering me since I built my system back in 2019.

TLDR:
While playing demanding games (mainly observed on: sea of thieves, Darktide, Monster Hunter Rise and others that I can’t remember right now) and after a quite random amount of time my whole system crashes.

The crash manifests as a completely black screen while the audio of whatever was happening at the moment ‘freezes’ without the appearance of a blue screen and after a couple seconds the system reboots on its own. It does unsuccessfully as every time a crash like this happens there is no video output and I have to force a shutdown, wait a couple seconds and turn on the system again to restore the output.

System details:
Motherboard- Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula
CPU- AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
RAM- DDR4 G.Skill Trident Z neo 2x8GB 3600 MHz
GPU- RX 6800 XT
PSU- Seasonic Prime TX 850X (850W)
SSD- AORUS NVMe Gen4 1 TB
HDD- Seagate Exos 6 TB

Like I said this has been happening since I built my system but I have been ignoring it as I didn’t play as much demanding games as I do today, and it’s driving me insane due to the huge randomness factor it has, sometimes it happens as soon as I launch a game, sometimes a couple minutes in and sometimes after hours have passed, and I have not been able to pinpoint the cause so I cannot replicate on command.

Troubleshooting so far:
*On the software side I already have tired to keep everything updated, Bios, drivers, games, windows with no noticeable improvement on the crashes.
*I had a light undervoltage on both CPU and GPU to improve temps and energy consumption but I’m not using it anymore, I’m using the system with as many default BIOS settings as I can other than a RAM profile
*As for Hardware, due to a completely different problem (hopefully) around a month ago I had to RMA both my motherboard and PSU and right now I’m using brand new components which makes me think, maybe the issue could be with a defective GPU or processor?
*Both SSD and HDD show as Good condition on Crystaldiskinfo
*I also been using OCCT to monitor Temperatures. Usually CPU 40-65 C° (104-149 F°) and GPU 56-60 C° (132-140 F°) under load and nothing of note from internal motherboard sensors on other areas
*I been running stress tests to push the system and try to find the issue but they always come out without issue.

I really feel stuck trying to troubleshoot this one and due to my work, I have little time to spare. So, any suggestions are very much welcome. I just wanna enjoy my games after work :(

Xfsec

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2015
Random crashes are hard to diagnose.

You could RMA your power supply and see if that fixes it.

Worst case, a no cost way to eliminate power supply as the problem area.
I tried with an older PSU but no dice, and like I mentioned in the main post I had to RMA both my motherboard and current PSU so they are brand ne

TRENDING THREADS