[SOLVED] Struggling to pick a CPU

Jul 1, 2020
I’m having some trouble picking out what cpu I should pick. An I5 9400f or an AMD Ryzen 5 1600AF. I mostly play games and edit videos and I want the cpu to be balanced. Great for productivity and great for gaming too. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
I’m having some trouble picking out what cpu I should pick. An I5 9400f or an AMD Ryzen 5 1600AF. I mostly play games and edit videos and I want the cpu to be balanced. Great for productivity and great for gaming too. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

That is easy, the 1600AF has twice the threads so will be much better for productivity whilst still being decent for games (especially if paired with fast DDR4 memory, which you cannot use with the i5 unless you pair it with a very expensive Z series motherboard).

That is easy, the 1600AF has twice the threads so will be much better for productivity whilst still being decent for games (especially if paired with fast DDR4 memory, which you cannot use with the i5 unless you pair it with a very expensive Z series motherboard).

Solution

Precisely. The 9400 will game about 5-10% (game dependent) in better FPS. But in a lot of games, there is no difference. For everything else, it's 1600AF all day long, and twice on Sundays!

Reactions: Voidzz
Jul 1, 2020
Thank you very much for the informative explanation. Thanks a lot.