Struggling with gigabit

Dennis Wright

Reputable
Nov 10, 2014
I just recently upgraded my internet to xfinity's gigabit. Speed tests were giving me 190mb - 200mb downstream. I called the ISP and told them I was not getting the gigabit speed. They told me to connect a wired device straight to my modem (MB8600), check speed there, which I did. The only wired device I own is a 10 year old Dell Inspiron, purchased a D-Link PCI Gb card for it, made sure to use cat 5E between it and the modem, no changes in new speed tests. I told xfinity to send me a tech, service call. I just want you to show me that I actually have Gigabit coming to my modem, I'm responsible from there on. Well, he took one of xfinity's modem/router, hooked it up to my line and showed me 900mb downstream (WiFi) on speed test through his cell phone. We hooked the same modem, same patch cord to my desktop, no change at all in online speed tests. What am I missing here? Is my computer so old the architecture wont support gigabit? I don't plan to leave this desktop connected to the modem, everything I have is wireless and comes off my router (Linksys WRT 3200ACM), but if I should use this old Dell on wired connection, how would I get it there? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Well first off current WIFI technology, expect no more than 300 mbit/sec top speed no matter what the ISP is delivering to you.

Ethernet u should be able to attain you 1 gig... but here's the caveat:

I've answered enough threads like this and my theory is, this is caused by W10. Ethernet was more plug&play until W10 came to the scene. W10 requires a driver re-write and my theory is, specially some older laptop/NIC have no proper W10 driver and Windows lazzyly slaps a xp/7/8 compatible driver for it and the result is..... your kind of problem. So what I would do? Go to my laptop vendor and look for a certified W10 LAN driver, for your particular model of laptop needless to say, a 10 years old they may already stop supporting it. Failing that, go directly to the NIC's chipset vendor see if they have a W10 driver and try that.

If ur not using W10, sorry to have u read all that and I have no further idea.