[SOLVED] Struggling with PCs smell problem for months, please help!

wicked1001

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2012
Hey,

Spec:
i7 7700
evga gtx 1080 ftw
2133mhz 16gb ram
msi h11om pro-vd motherboard
seasonic 750w fully modular PSU

For the last few months I have had many bad smells coming from my PC, not an insane burning/chemical smell but enough to really put me off using it much anymore.

I have upgraded the PSU twice, sent off my GPU for warranty replacement and a new case with brilliant reviews for airflow.

I have run out of ideas.. What else could it be? My last idea was the motherboard, but I don't understand how this component could give a bad smell.
Visually everything looks good, very clean inside case. Am I going insane?

Any help would really be appreciated.

Cheers

Solution
Got a cat?
I know of someone who's cat sprayed into the side vent of the case....not a good smell.
I had to totally disassemble the entire pc and ran the case parts through several dishwasher cycles to clean it up.

wicked1001

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2012
  1. Run your pc until you start feeling the smell;
  2. Disassemble your pc;
  3. Check every component one by one and find the one that gives out smell.
I've done this countless times annoyingly.
The smell always comes from the GPU/Motherboard area. I have been told my GPU is very power demanding though. But this is a new GPU that was only sent out yesterday. So must be something else.

The smell always comes from the GPU/Motherboard area. I have been told my GPU is very power demanding though. But this is a new GPU that was only sent out yesterday. So must be something else.
So - take out your gpu and sniff it from all angles.
There's probably some flux residue on pcb. When pcb heats up, flux evaporates and produces smell.

If it's not gpu, then remove every component from your pc until only motherboard remains and sniff it thoroughly.

wicked1001

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2012
So - take out your gpu and sniff it from all angles.
There's probably some flux residue on pcb. When pcb heats up, flux evaporates and produces smell.

If it's not gpu, then remove every component from your pc until only motherboard remains and sniff it thoroughly.
I just tried this.. With and without the gpu in I couldn't get a direct smell location. Motherboard has no faulty looking parts either, all recently had thermals changed.

Joseph57

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2014
Got a cat?
I know of someone who's cat sprayed into the side vent of the case....not a good smell.
I had to totally disassemble the entire pc and ran the case parts through several dishwasher cycles to clean it up.

Solution