[SOLVED] Struggling with settings

Feb 4, 2021
Mb is a Asus Tuf Gaming x570 Plus WiFi, Ryzen 9 3950x, Bios is American Megatrends 3001. Ram is 4 sticks of Corsair Vengeance LPX ( was in the pc with other CPU). I am new to "settings tweaking". Not a gamer. Camera guy...I am the track photographer for Spokane County Raceway. I am currently recovering from my second back surgery so boredom has set in...which is why I am trying to tweak things some....not to mention I am having some issues in Photoshop that several folks are sure it is in a setting somewhere in my Desktop. I never checked to see if the RAM was compatible with the CPU. Upon checking it is only compatible in 2 slots, not all 4. Could this be why, no matter what settings I use from the AMD Ryzen RAM calculator the system will not boot? This is the last settings I tried...hmmm....quess I can't post an image...

Solution
No, that is common to ALL modern consumer dual channel motherboards.

The second and fourth slots are, by design, the two slots that MUST be used when only two DIMMs are populated. It is NOT a "problem" with your board, it's how it and all other dual channel aftermarket boards (And most, aside from a small handful, of OEM boards as well) were designed to be populated. Now, if those two DIMM slots are populated and trying to add two more, or trying to add a four DIMM kit, involves some problems, then that is likely a different conversation altogether, but for only two, it's the second and fourth slots over from the CPU socket in practically every situation that doesn't involve a higher (Quad or Octa channel for example) channel...
No, that is common to ALL modern consumer dual channel motherboards.

The second and fourth slots are, by design, the two slots that MUST be used when only two DIMMs are populated. It is NOT a "problem" with your board, it's how it and all other dual channel aftermarket boards (And most, aside from a small handful, of OEM boards as well) were designed to be populated. Now, if those two DIMM slots are populated and trying to add two more, or trying to add a four DIMM kit, involves some problems, then that is likely a different conversation altogether, but for only two, it's the second and fourth slots over from the CPU socket in practically every situation that doesn't involve a higher (Quad or Octa channel for example) channel architecture and those are generally enterprise, server or high end desktop (HEDT) type systems that most users won't be dealing with and certainly doesn't relate to your X570 platform.

UB6JJIp.png

If you wish to test the memory, to be sure it isn't just a problem with the memory itself (Which is doubtful, but it never hurts to know HOW to test the memory, in as accurate a fashion as possible) you can do the following.

Memtest86

Go to the Passmark software website and download the USB Memtest86 free version. You can do the optical disk version too if for some reason you cannot use a bootable USB flash drive.

Create bootable media using the downloaded Memtest86. Once you have done that, go into your BIOS and configure the system to boot to the USB drive that contains the Memtest86 USB media or the optical drive if using that option.

You CAN use Memtest86+, as they've recently updated the program after MANY years of no updates, but for the purpose of this guide I recommend using the Passmark version as this is a tried and true utility while I've not had the opportunity to investigate the reliability of the latest 86+ release as compared to Memtest86. Possibly, consider using Memtest86+ as simply a secondary test to Memtest86, much as Windows memory diagnostic utility and Prime95 Blend or custom modes can be used for a second opinion utility.

Create a bootable USB Flash drive:

1. Download the Windows MemTest86 USB image.

2. Right click on the downloaded file and select the "Extract to Here" option. This places the USB image and imaging tool into the current folder.

3. Run the included imageUSB tool, it should already have the image file selected and you just need to choose which connected USB drive to turn into a bootable drive. Note that this will erase all data on the drive.

No memory should ever fail to pass Memtest86 when it is at the default configuration that the system sets it at when you start out or do a clear CMOS by removing the CMOS battery for five minutes.

Best method for testing memory is to first run four passes of Memtest86, all 11 tests, WITH the memory at the default configuration. This should be done BEFORE setting the memory to the XMP profile settings. The paid version has 13 tests but the free version only has tests 1-10 and test 13. So run full passes of all 11 tests. Be sure to download the latest version of Memtest86. Memtest86+ has not been updated in MANY years. It is NO-WISE as good as regular Memtest86 from Passmark software.

If there are ANY errors, at all, then the memory configuration is not stable. Bumping the DRAM voltage up slightly may resolve that OR you may need to make adjustments to the primary timings. There are very few secondary or tertiary timings that should be altered. I can tell you about those if you are trying to tighten your memory timings.

If you cannot pass Memtest86 with the memory at the XMP configuration settings then I would recommend restoring the memory to the default JEDEC SPD of 1333/2133mhz (Depending on your platform and memory type) with everything left on the auto/default configuration and running Memtest86 over again. If it completes the four full passes without error you can try again with the XMP settings but first try bumping the DRAM voltage up once again by whatever small increment the motherboard will allow you to increase it by. If it passes, great, move on to the Prime95 testing.

If it still fails, try once again bumping the voltage if you are still within the maximum allowable voltage for your memory type and test again. If it still fails, you are likely going to need more advanced help with configuring your primary timings and should return the memory to the default configuration until you can sort it out.

If the memory will not pass Memtest86 for four passes when it IS at the stock default non-XMP configuration, even after a minor bump in voltage, then there is likely something physically wrong with one or more of the memory modules and I'd recommend running Memtest on each individual module, separately, to determine which module is causing the issue. If you find a single module that is faulty you should contact the seller or the memory manufacturer and have them replace the memory as a SET. Memory comes matched for a reason as I made clear earlier and if you let them replace only one module rather than the entire set you are back to using unmatched memory which is an open door for problems with incompatible memory.

Be aware that you SHOULD run Memtest86 to test the memory at the default, non-XMP, non-custom profile settings BEFORE ever making any changes to the memory configuration so that you will know if the problem is a setting or is a physical problem with the memory.

Furthermore, reading THIS first might shed some light on some questions you have, and then I'm happy to offer further help or clarification on any other questions you still have afterwards.

As far as actually "tweaking" the memory settings, that can of course be done but it's a lot of work for very little gain, so I always recommend simply running memory kits at the XMP, A-XMP, AMP or D.O.C.P profile (All of which are just variations on the name of the embedded profile) configuration and worrying about performance gains from other options such as faster CPU, MORE memory, faster storage devices like SATA and PCI solid state drives or a faster memory kit itself.

Solution
Feb 4, 2021
I have Mem test. Thursday night I reset the bios to all the defaults and let it Memtest run over night. 0 errors. Last night I had the RAM settings on D.O.C.P. Memtest ran for 9 hours, no errors. I am debating on simply getting a faster memory kit....
I have been reading thru your overclocking info...thanks for taking the time for doing so.

Last edited:
My advice would be, for your platform and configuration, if you can get the full amount of memory you WANT to run, using only TWO DIMMs rather than four, you are a LOT more likely to get them to run at their full rated speed (If you choose a high speed kit, anything over 2933mhz) using only two DIMMs versus using four. Even AMD outlines reductions in the maximum supported speed on all it's existing dual channel platforms when using more than two DIMMs with high speed memory kits.

So, for example, if you want to run a 32GB 3600mhz kit, I'd recommend finding a kit that is both COMPATIBLE with your motherboard based on the compatibility list of the memory manufacturer (Corsair memory finder, G.Skill memory configurator, Crucial memory advisor) and/or the motherboard QVL list, AND that is a 2x 16GB kit, for example, rather than a 4x 8GB kit. Running four DIMMs on dual channel platforms is not actually the preferred configuration for high speed kits if it can be avoided while still achieving the full amount of memory capacity you want to run.

Sure, there are a few articles showing some minor gains in memory performance while running four DIMMs on some Ryzen platforms, but those are ALL scenarios in which lower speed memory kits were used, speeds of 2933mhz or less. In none of those tests were four DIMM kits of 3200mhz or higher used that I am aware of and regardless, there have almost always been some kind of problems involved (Surmountable or not) when running four DIMM kits of fast memory on practically all dual channel platforms from the past ten years or so, perhaps longer, because of the additional stress than an extra two DIMMs puts on the internal memory controller.

It can certainly work, but in some cases it just isn't worth it if you don't need to go that route. It is almost always a much simpler thing when dealing with only two DIMMs.

Reactions: Inkjunkie
Feb 4, 2021
My advice would be, for your platform and configuration, if you can get the full amount of memory you WANT to run, using only TWO DIMMs rather than four, you are a LOT more likely to get them to run at their full rated speed (If you choose a high speed kit, anything over 2933mhz) using only two DIMMs versus using four. Even AMD outlines reductions in the maximum supported speed on all it's existing dual channel platforms when using more than two DIMMs with high speed memory kits.

So, for example, if you want to run a 32GB 3600mhz kit, I'd recommend finding a kit that is both COMPATIBLE with your motherboard based on the compatibility list of the memory manufacturer (Corsair memory finder, G.Skill memory configurator, Crucial memory advisor) and/or the motherboard QVL list, AND that is a 2x 16GB kit, for example, rather than a 4x 8GB kit. Running four DIMMs on dual channel platforms is not actually the preferred configuration for high speed kits if it can be avoided while still achieving the full amount of memory capacity you want to run.

Sure, there are a few articles showing some minor gains in memory performance while running four DIMMs on some Ryzen platforms, but those are ALL scenarios in which lower speed memory kits were used, speeds of 2933mhz or less. In none of those tests were four DIMM kits of 3200mhz or higher used that I am aware of and regardless, there have almost always been some kind of problems involved (Surmountable or not) when running four DIMM kits of fast memory on practically all dual channel platforms from the past ten years or so, perhaps longer, because of the additional stress than an extra two DIMMs puts on the internal memory controller.

It can certainly work, but in some cases it just isn't worth it if you don't need to go that route. It is almost always a much simpler thing when dealing with only two DIMMs.
Thanks. I very well may look for a 32 (2x16) memory kit.

Keep something else in mind as well, because it could offer additional options as far as what speed of kit etc. to target price-wise.

CL latency affects true latency, as does speed/frequency.

A 3600mhz kit would be a good fit for your system, but in some cases it might be more expensive for a 3600mhz CL16 kit than it is for a 3200mhz CL14 kit, and the 3200mhz CL14 kit will have a lower true latency, and will therefore, be faster than the 3600mhz CL16 kit. So you don't always have to have the fastest frequency to get the most performance IF you have a kit that was made with excellent IC's and has a very low, tight latency. Anytime you can increase in overall frequency without increasing latency, you improve performance. Or, staying at the same speed while reducing latency, will also improve memory performance.

Not everything benefits hugely by improvements in memory performance though. Some applications, technologies and processes might see very little overall difference because of changes to memory performance, while others might see very significant ones.

Feb 4, 2021
Keep something else in mind as well, because it could offer additional options as far as what speed of kit etc. to target price-wise.

CL latency affects true latency, as does speed/frequency.

A 3600mhz kit would be a good fit for your system, but in some cases it might be more expensive for a 3600mhz CL16 kit than it is for a 3200mhz CL14 kit, and the 3200mhz CL14 kit will have a lower true latency, and will therefore, be faster than the 3600mhz CL16 kit. So you don't always have to have the fastest frequency to get the most performance IF you have a kit that was made with excellent IC's and has a very low, tight latency. Anytime you can increase in overall frequency without increasing latency, you improve performance. Or, staying at the same speed while reducing latency, will also improve memory performance.

Not everything benefits hugely by improvements in memory performance though. Some applications, technologies and processes might see very little overall difference because of changes to memory performance, while others might see very significant ones.
Before I buy anything I will be posting it here...appreciate your input on it.....

Feb 4, 2021
@Darkbreeze
Thoughts on 3200 c14 vs 3600 c14? Price difference is $70...which is not going to break the bank. If I read the Asus site correctly my board supports either one of them. I use Lightroom for 95% of my editing. I occasionally use a few other editing programs but they all have pretty much the same requirements. I am in the process of trying to learn Photoshop, but with the difficulty my system has with some of the features of PS I pretty much have given up for now. I have a Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Founders Edition GPU. I am not alone with my PS difficulties. Adobes fix is just throw different settings at the problem...which, at least for me, gets me no place. In talking with a buddy who is computer junky he is thinking that I have a simple hardware issue...in the past he did make mention of the 4 sticks of RAM may have something to with it.
Even in Lightroom I have some weird issues. I make an adjustment, they are all simple sliders, and often times the adjustment has a fairly lengthy delay...I am often on the 4th adjustment before the first one actually happens to the image. Just like my PS troubles I am not alone with this problem. I was using a wireless keyboard/mouse, several folks that had the same issue went to a wired keyboard/mouse and had their problem go away...sadly that was not the case with me.
I sincerely appreciate your input....Thank You...

The 3600 C14 kit, to me, is probably worth the extra 70 bucks.

To the average person, probably not worth it at all.

For you? Only you can answer that question. I'll tell you for certain that the system will probably "feel" a little bit "snappier" with the faster kit at the same CL14 latency, especially in memory intensive applications, but for the majority of people out there it is likely that they'd probably never notice the difference between the two in terms of how the system performs.

I'd still probably pay the extra for the faster kit, but that's just me. There might well be other places in the build that an additional 70 bucks could be better invested, IDK really for your system.

Feb 4, 2021
The 3600 C14 kit, to me, is probably worth the extra 70 bucks.

To the average person, probably not worth it at all.

For you? Only you can answer that question. I'll tell you for certain that the system will probably "feel" a little bit "snappier" with the faster kit at the same CL14 latency, especially in memory intensive applications, but for the majority of people out there it is likely that they'd probably never notice the difference between the two in terms of how the system performs.

I'd still probably pay the extra for the faster kit, but that's just me. There might well be other places in the build that an additional 70 bucks could be better invested, IDK really for your system.
I did order the 3600 C14 kit today. Going to be a while before it shows up. I have been spending some time reading the info in the overclocking links you posted. I realized today I have forgotten most of what I knew in the past. But I am going to try and sort it out. I have a ton of questions...but I am going to see if I can figure it out on my own.
I will eventually start a thread about it, I always have the best intentions when it comes to learning something new but I often have some pretty serious comprehension issues....

Yeah, so do we all. Well, most of us anyhow. If we were all top 1% world class engineer level intellects, then I guess we wouldn't, but we can't all be the guys who understand the full design and operation behind all these different hardware architectures. Understanding just the settings and configuration side of things to a degree that allows us to simply manipulate things to our preferences is often the best we can hope for in some of these scenarios.

If I can answer any specific questions I'm happy to do so, but don't be surprised if the answer is simply "I don't know" and we have to find the answer together somewhere, if it's even out there to find, because often it isn't without knowing somebody that's an engineer in this area. We have a few of them left around here, but I'm sure by now they've become fatigued with my questions. LOL.