troyskee

Reputable
Dec 14, 2016
I recently bought a 32" Samsung 4k monitor (Samsung UHD UJ590), and I just realized I'm only getting 30Hz refresh rate at 4k, which is difficult to use for work and impossible to use for gaming.

What is my best route to getting 60Hz? I know my monitor supports 60Hz at 4k, it's in the manual. My laptops do not have Display Port output, only HDMI. My two computers are Lenovo ThinkPad T490(work) and Gigabyte Aero 15x(gaming).

Will a new HDMI 2.0 get me there on both computers? Will it get me there on at least the Gigabyte since it has a dedicated graphics card? Or will I need a converter box that will convert HDMI to DP?

Solution
4k 60Hz requires Displayport or Hdmi 2.

Your monitor has Hdmi 1.4, 2 & Displayport.

Thinkpad has Hdmi 1.4 so that won't give you 4k 60Hz but it does have USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-C / Thunderbolt 3 which seems like this port can be used for video. It doesn't say so specifically in the specs but often laptops with this port is possible. USBc/TB uses the same Displayport protocol. Explained further below.

The Gigabyte notebook has Hdmi 2 and mini Displayport.

Since your monitor has both Hdmi v1.4 and 2, make sure your high speed Hdmi cable is using the v2 port on the monitor. I'm not sure which Hdmi version is which at the back of it though, hopefully it's labeled or check manual.

Regarding USBc to DP or mini DP to DP, these cables are...

boju

Titan
Ambassador
4k 60Hz requires Displayport or Hdmi 2.

Your monitor has Hdmi 1.4, 2 & Displayport.

Thinkpad has Hdmi 1.4 so that won't give you 4k 60Hz but it does have USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-C / Thunderbolt 3 which seems like this port can be used for video. It doesn't say so specifically in the specs but often laptops with this port is possible. USBc/TB uses the same Displayport protocol. Explained further below.

The Gigabyte notebook has Hdmi 2 and mini Displayport.

Since your monitor has both Hdmi v1.4 and 2, make sure your high speed Hdmi cable is using the v2 port on the monitor. I'm not sure which Hdmi version is which at the back of it though, hopefully it's labeled or check manual.

Regarding USBc to DP or mini DP to DP, these cables are available. Don't bother with USBc to Hdmi, these look to be a hassle.

More info here;

Solution

troyskee

Reputable
Dec 14, 2016
Purchasing a USBc to DP adapter cable for my work laptop. The second HDMI port on the monitor supports HDMI 2.0, so that should be good for my other laptop with 2.0 built in.

Thank you!