Stuck at 60 fps

waledovic

Commendable
Nov 24, 2016
I just got my first pc 2 days ago
Its intel core i7 6700 k
Gigabyte gtx 1070 g1 gaming
16gb ddr4 2400mhz ram

But in any game I try it dont exceed 60 fps either it ultra high graphics settings or low and i ve seen people go as far as 150 or higher fps on 1070 gpu

As I said its my first so i dont know why or whats the problem but iam connecting it to a tv monitor thats 60hz at refresh rate
Is that the problem or is it at any of the hardware

Any help please

Solution

Sounds as if Nvidia's calling the shots. If you open your Nvidia control panel and follow these directions

Enabling V-Sync with NVIDIA Control Panel.

Click the Start button or Windows icon.
Type "NVIDIA control panel" into the Search programs and files field...

Sounds as if Nvidia's calling the shots. If you open your Nvidia control panel and follow these directions

Enabling V-Sync with NVIDIA Control Panel.

Click the Start button or Windows icon.
Type "NVIDIA control panel" into the Search programs and files field.
Press Enter on your keyboard.
Click on "Manage 3D settings"
Under "I would like to use the following 3D settings" scroll down until you see "Vertical sync".

Under the Global settings tab make sure it is set to application control and not use Nvidia.

It is possible V-Sync is enabled through Nvidia. That overrides your in-game settings if Vsync is enabled through the Global Settings of Nvidia's control panel. That would limit your FPS to the refresh rate of your TV. Disabling that or simply allowing the application settings control vsync should solve that issue.

Solution

You are incorrect. I have a 60Hz 1080p TV. Far Cry 4 displays at over 100FPS.

It is true your FPS will be limited to the refresh rate of your display device IF vsync is enabled.

Oh. Pics or it isn't true.

Far_Cry4_2016_11_08_22_14_29_543.jpg

My specs

Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i5 4690K @ 3.50GHz 34 °C
Haswell 22nm Technology
RAM
8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 933MHz (10-11-10-30)
Motherboard
MSI Z97 PC Mate(MS-7850) (SOCKET 0) 39 °C
Graphics
Zoran (1920x1080@60Hz)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 (EVGA) 36 °C
Storage
931GB Western Digital WDC WD1003FZEX-00MK2A0 (SATA) 40 °C
465GB Western Digital WDC WD5000AACS-00D0B0 (SATA) 42 °C
111GB ADATA SP550 (SSD) 38 °C
298GB Western Digital WDC WD3200BEVT-60A23T0 (SATA) 32 °C
Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST DVDRRW GSA-H30L
Audio
High Definition Audio Device

Yes. That would be my first troubleshooting step.

On the other end of the spectrum we have screen tearing.

3framesIn4refreshes_teared_zps9029691e.png
is an example of screen tearing. Some may not notice it until it gets this extreme. It may just appear as a ultra thin line that came and went. Let's say a user has a 60FPS TV. They are using a high end video card such as the 1070. They start playing an old game such as Sniper Elite 1 or some other game. Screen tearing is NOT guaranteed. BUT when the TV's refresh rate is 60 HZ the monitor is only capable of refreshing the screen 60 times per second. Then how the pickle can I see more than 60FPS on my 60Hz TV? Because you are not seeing all of the frames. The GFX card is sending information faster than the 60Hz TV can process. And then to get back to screen tearing, you see that line because you are actually seeing two frames on the screen. Sometimes you may see 3 frames. Invest in a 120Hz monitor/TV and you will most likely notice smoother gameplay. This is because the 120Hz TV can display all of the frames without errors.

Then there is Gsync. There is a certain amount of input lag caused by vsync. You will also notice FPS drops a lot more when vsync is enabled. Enter a Gsync capable monitor/TV. With its adaptive refresh technology it can help with screen tearing but will also make the FPS drops not so noticeable.

Can you try disabling Vsync globally instead of allowing application control.

Have you installed the most recent drivers 375.95 and rebooted your system?

You shouldn't be locked to 60FPS in all games. If you are I can think of no reason other than a setting connected to refresh rates which Vsync is. Have you went to each game's in game setting and made sure Vsync was off. Turn it off in the game and in the control panel(Nvidia's).

You can also try Windowed borderless instead of full screen. Once your FPS surpass 60FPS go back to full screen and see if that solves it. Windows 10 seems to have a mind of its own and bullies other software and its native settings. Sorry for being so technical with my explanation of Windows. Not sure why Windows does this at time.

You can also right click the WIn 10 icon aka Start Button. When you right click it click on power options. Is it on high performance? No? Change it to High Performance and click OK. Yes? Change it to another plan and click OK. Change it back to high performance and click OK.

The Anniversary Update Windows received screwed up a LOT of computers. Press start button and type Xbox. Go to Xbox. Let the app open. Maximize it and click the gear on the bottom left. That is the settings icon. Click on Game DVR. Turn off DVR if it is on. Microsoft enabling that trumps even Nvidia's setting at times. Click the X to close the Window.

Cubsfan15

Commendable
Aug 21, 2016
AqueliSuvari, it will show that there is whatever fps you get, it may show 100, but you will only be able to SEE 60 fps regardless. The ops original statement seemed to me that he couldnt see more than 60 fps, which is correct, even though he may be processing more frames than that.

Why did waledovic ask this question? Because of an FPS counter. Prior to the question it was stuck at 60. It is now at or around 160FPS. How should I have approached this? Your monitor can't display any more than 60FPS. Don't worry about the FPS counter? Okay. The maximum FPS is 60 FPS. Any more than that and you will get screen tearing.What happens when the system is being stressed with lets say BF1 on ultra. Every setting is maxed out. The system can only produce 40-55FPS in many areas(hypothetically). In that instance having vsync on would negatively impact performance. We interpreted the question differently. I was paying attention to the FPS counter and it seems you were taking a very technical approach. While your answer does explain why in reality the TV isn't displaying more than 60FPS that does not explain why the counter was stuck at 60FPS. At least now, waledovic has learned more from all the answers.