Stuck at 60hz instead of 144hz

jordanzs

Commendable
Dec 14, 2018
I bought my son the EVGA XC Gaming RTX 2070. The GPU only has displayports and HDMI. He had a Benq XL2411 that didn't have a displayport and only did 144hz through DVI-D. I tried many displayport to DVI chords, and adapters that were displayport to DVI-D(active) and still was stuck at 60hz.

I just got home with a new Dell S2716DGR. I plugged in the displayport and still 60hz. Then I read the manual and found this monitor only does 144hz with HDMI. I tried the HDMI, installed the drivers, reinstalled the drivers for the GPU and I'm still stuck at 60hz(actually is shows 59hz)

Then upon trying to research this, I found that G-Sync doesn't work with HDMI.... is this true?

How can I get this monitor to 144hz?

jordanzs

Commendable
Dec 14, 2018

But what about for the new Dell S2716DGR?

jordanzs

Commendable
Dec 14, 2018

And btw, I purchased that VisionTech displayport to active dual link DVI-D adapter that you have in that link you just posted, and it didn't work for his Benq XL2411. You're the reason I bought it. It still stayed at 60hz instead of 144hz....

All G-Sync monitors are limited to 60 Hz over HDMI. You need to use DisplayPort. Are you setting the refresh rate from Windows settings, or from the NVIDIA control panel?

And btw, I purchased that VisionTech displayport to active dual link DVI-D adapter that you have in that link you just posted, and it didn't work for his Benq XL2411. You're the reason I bought it. It still stayed at 60hz instead of 144hz....
Yes, there appears that it is not compatible with the XL2411. I updated the post a while ago in the GN246HL/XL2411 section to suggest the BizLink adapter instead, but I failed to update the DP->DVI section to say it doesn't work with that monitor. My apologies for that.

jordanzs

Commendable
Dec 14, 2018
[/quotemsg]
All G-Sync monitors are limited to 60 Hz over HDMI. You need to use DisplayPort. Are you setting the refresh rate from Windows settings, or from the NVIDIA control panel?
Well that sucks... I tried both through the Windows settings and the NVIDIA control panel. I'm on the phone with Dell now trying to figure out why I'm not getting 144hz through the HDMI....
Yes, there appears that it is not compatible with the XL2411. I updated the post a while ago in the GN246HL/XL2411 section to suggest the BizLink adapter instead, but I failed to update the DP->DVI section to say it doesn't work with that monitor. My apologies for that.[/quotemsg]

Don't apologize. For the price, it was worth the try.

jordanzs

Commendable
Dec 14, 2018
Sorry for the messing up the quotes, I tried to edit but I obviously failed.

After over 45 minutes on the phone with Dell, they remote connected to my PC, went into the NVIDIA control panel, disabled and enabled something to do with the driver updates that I did for the RTX 2070 and it worked! Thank you Glenwing for your time and responses!

We're now getting 144hz(technically showing 143hz) through the displayport.