Stuck at Blinking Underscore Randomly

ElementAMD

Reputable
Sep 10, 2015
Is it possible for errors to occur out of pure chance? My system is usually very stable and has never had any issues in it's 2 years of usage. Suddenly, just an hour ago, I was booting up my computer, and it got stuck on the BIOS, with a blinking underscore, that would not progress. Upon forcing my PC to shutdown, I rebooted and it went through without issue. I proceeded to use Command Prompt to do an SFC /Scannow command, which only found one corrupt file in a .NET framework installation.

Should I be worried about the chance that my SSD is possibly dying, and are there any precautions I should take to make sure nothing happens again? Thanks in advance for any help!

COLGeek

Cybernaut
This is often the indicator of a failing SSD/HDD and happens when your system can no longer detect a bootable storage device.

Make sure you back up all of your important files. Then, test your storage devices to determine what may be happening.

What is the make/model of your storage device(s)?

ElementAMD

Reputable
Sep 10, 2015

I have a 240GB Sandisk SSD as my boot device for my OS, a 1TB WD Caviar Blue, and a 2TB WD Black.
All of my important files are on my WD Blue, I haven't yet utilized the WD Black, which I just got.

ElementAMD

Reputable
Sep 10, 2015

Installed both of these as well as SSDLife, all three of which report that every drive in my system is healthy, and the SanDisk Utility reports that the health of the drive is normal.

I'm most likely going to check to ensure the cables are fully connected in my PC and hope the issue doesn't occur again