Question Stuck at code 02 (probably after messing with PCIe cables)

Droidfreak

Reputable
May 30, 2020
www.linkedin.com
Hi everyone,

this is the initial setup I had: ROG Strix Helios case, ROG Thor 850P PSU, ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570, Ryzen 9 5950X, ROG Ryujin 360 AIO, 4x8GB G.Skill TridentZ Royal 4000 C15 (F4-4000C15D-16GTRG), MSI 3080 SUPRIM X (installed vertically with a Strix PCIe riser), 3 monitors (all DP).
About a week ago I decided to install the 3 PCIe power cables connected to the graphics card in a cleaner way, messed with them for a while, finally reconnected - I was greeted by a white GPU light, code 02 ("AP initialization before microcode loading") and the green "boot" light on the mobo - "No Signal" on the monitor. Since then I tried basically everything:

• installed the GPU without the riser, tried different slots
  • replaced 2 of 3 PCIe power cables (got the thick and sturdy ones by CableMod, so now have 3 of them)
  • tried just one monitor (cycled all 3)
  • used HDMI instead of DP
  • disconnected all monitors from power for a while
  • took the graphics card to a friend: it worked fine in his PC
  • tried another PSU (Seasonic Prime 850W)
  • tried having only the 8-pin CPU PWR connected, removing the 4-pin one

Now I even got another motherboard: the MSI MEG X570S Ace Max.
Very similar behavior: power on, GPU LED on the mobo is lit for about 10 seconds, then I briefly see code 02 and green "boot" light (which then turns off) and the debug LED switches to displaying CPU temp (just learned that MSI mobos do this). Judging by those temps the CPU is alive and doing something, because a dead CPU is unlikely to go to 65°C (149°F) for a while and then back to around 30°C (86°F) idle. Also checked:

• the mounting pressure of the AIO heatspreader is not too high, I can turn those screws by hand
  • tried with just one DIMM installed
  • switched between "Silent" and "Gaming" VBIOS (there's a physical switch on my 3080)

No SATA devices are connected (there's a single Samsung 980 Pro installed in the first M.2 slot), also no USB devices. I'm slowly running out of ideas what else could have caused the issue, any input is very appreciated.

Droidfreak

Reputable
May 30, 2020
www.linkedin.com
Update: I have no logical explanation for this, but after not touching the PC for a couple of days (actually not long enogh for the CMOS battery to go empty), reseating everything several times and connecting / disconnecting the monitors many times it suddenly just started working again. I guess I will never find out what the reason was, but happy I don't have to RMA the graphics card which is out of stock with that retailer anyway...