Question Stuck at "Entering Setup"

RavenCorbie

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012
I want to preface this by saying I read the sticky post. I will go through each step if you feel it is necessary, but some seem unnecessary because I built this computer in spring 2015, and everything was working just fine until late April of this year.

Specs:
CPU: i7-4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 GAMING
GPU: (new in October 2020): NVIDIA GTX 1660 SUPER
Memory: 32 GB (4 sticks: 2 sticks Corsair Vengeance and 2 sticks Kingston HyperX Fury)
Storage*** (See Below)
PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 Watt fully modular

Backstory:
In April, my computer shut off. I restarted it, and it stayed on for about 2 hours, then shut off again. After that, I was unable to get it to start. It would POST (I heard the beep), but the screen would stay blank. It did not occur to me to try pressing the button (turned out to be F11) to bypass the boot drive. I should have come here then. I think I did but somehow forgot about the forums and was just looking on the main site. I called a neighbor who said it was probably the drive (SSD) that Windows was on. I also had some other issues related to Dropbox and Windows 7, so was also planning to switch to a new cloud storage system and upgrade to Windows 10, but this never actually happened.

I bought a new SSD and removed the old one, which I am now thinking was a mistake. I got comfortable on this Mac laptop and was able to do most of the things I normally do, so ended up procrastinating until now to actually see if that worked. And obviously, it didn't. I was able to press F11 to get to a screen, which requested that I press F1 to run SETUP or F2 to Continue. It is now stuck on "Entering Setup" since I chose F1.

So... Storage:
Old SSD with Windows 7: Crucial MX100 256GB
New SSD to put Windows 7 on and then upgrade to Windows 10: Kingbank SSD 480GB
Main HDD with docs/etc.: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB Internal Hard Drive
SSD for games: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB
SSD for more games: Crucial MX500 1 TB M.2 SSD

I realize this is an old build, and I will probably need to build a new one soon anyway, but INFLATION. And my rent has been going up and my pay not so much, so I was thinking of doing it with my tax refund next year. Of course, if this is a motherboard problem, then there's not much I can do.

When I was reading the sticky on not able to boot, a lot of the advice seemed geared to completely new builds, and so I was unsure what items I would need to actually check for. For example, I think that if I messed up with the thermal paste, it wouldn't have taken 8 years to show itself to be a problem. I did check that all the cables were connected properly. I doubt it's related to the "new" graphics card, since I put that in back in October 2020, so it would have been in for a year and a half before I started having problems. The new SSD/removing the old one might be a problem, but if so, it's AFTER the original problem.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! And I am feeling like an idiot, so sorry about all the stupid mistakes I made -- the ones I suspect as well as any that I'm not thinking of.

Lutfij

Titan
Memory: 32 GB (4 sticks: 2 sticks Corsair Vengeance and 2 sticks Kingston HyperX Fury)
Mind sharing the links to both kits of ram? Also, if I were you, I wouldn't mix and match ram kits, just for the sake of stability.

In April, my computer shut off. I restarted it, and it stayed on for about 2 hours, then shut off again. After that, I was unable to get it to start. It would POST (I heard the beep), but the screen would stay blank.
Have you tried testing your build with a reliably built 550W PSU sourced(not bought) from your neighbor or friend?

If you're trying to diagnose your storage drive/OS being the issue, might want to create a bootable USB installer for Windows using Windows Media Creation Tools, then install the onto any storage drive(while all the others are disconnected from the motherboard). On a side note, can you enter into BIOS? If so, please take a look at the BIOS version at this moment of time.

RavenCorbie

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012
Lafong: Yes, everything but the second set of RAM, the video card, and some of the storage are from April 2015.

Lutfij:
On the RAM -- I did not think of that. I will remember it for the future. Here are the links:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/CQphP6/corsair-memory-cmy16gx3m2a1600c9

I have not tried testing with a different PSU -- I don't really know where I would get one. I might have an old one around here somewhere, but it probably wouldn't be high enough voltage (I think it was 350, if I even have it).

I cannot access the official Windows Media Tools because this is a Mac, but it appears I can download an iso. Is that sufficient?

And no, I am not able to get into BIOS. It's stuck on "Entering Setup..."