Status
Not open for further replies.

PsychoPsyops

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2014
Hello.
I’m 32 and I had graduated high school and college. I have an Associates degree in General Studies, a Bachelors degree in Cybersecurity and the CompTIA Security + certification. The twist, I have no Cybersecurity or IT experience. This being said, I’ve been applying to almost everything entry level, but not receiving any callbacks or interviews due to lack of experience. What should I do? I don’t wish to work in any major cities and I am currently employed as a help desk rep (non-IT) for an access control company. Is there a specific, natural next step I should be looking for, for entry level jobs? My biggest mistake was probably neglecting to get an internship during school, though I thought the certification would make up for that.
Thank you for your time.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
And broaden your applications and go beyond applying for "entry level".

Be honest about your education, experience, and skill levels - just aim higher.

With the overall demand for IT/Cybersecurity skills you may either get an offer for a "higher position" or at least an offer to start as Entry Level.

Then if you work out by showing up on time, doing the job well, not being a hassle to co-workers and managers, etc. you may get bumped up to a more responsible, demanding, and higher paying position.

Agree: major city - not desirable per se but in all likelihood you will need to make some trade-off's along the way. For the most part, do more research on the companies where you apply. Many have multiple sites and/or even work from home.

You will still need to "pay your dues" for awhile.

FYI: recommended book:

https://www.amazon.com/Cybersecurity-Leadership-Powering-Modern-Organization/dp/1502312115

PsychoPsyops

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2014
I just kept applying to any and all positions around me, stumbled into a small company looking for a sysadmin replacement and they only needed one too.
I'd mark a best answer, but I do not have the option for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.