Stuck at "Verifying DMI pool data"

NapkinEater

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013
I have an old desktop that hasn't run for a while that I'm trying to re-purpose into a file server. My plan was to wipe/repartition one of the HDDs in it and install Linux. First, I tried running a partitioning software from usb. That wouldn't work. Then I burned a boot CD of the same software. That also didn't work. Finally, I pulled all the HDDs out, wiped, repartitioned, and installed Linux on a 160gb ide drive with my laptop using an ide to usb adapter. I can boot into this Linux install with my laptop just fine. If I plug the HDD into the desktop, however, I get stuck at "Verifying DMI pool data".

I've searched and found other people having this issue, but their solution seems to always have to do with the HDD. My HDD boots correctly in another machine. Also, this machine doesn't seem to be able to boot from usb or cd, either. Is the motherboard likely the cause? Should I even bother trying to install Linux on a SATA drive and see if it will boot from that? Would reflashing the BIOS be worth a shot? If so, how the heck do you flash a BIOS these days without a floppy drive (I'm old)?

Mobo is a Gigabyte GA-MA78G-DS3HP and the HDD I tried was a 160gb Seagate Barracuda. Thanks for any help/suggestions!

Solution
Motherboard or IDE cable seems likely cause. You can try different port and/or Different/disconnected drives different cable. For example will this pc boot with Linux on a flash drive and NO other drives? You can try to reset the bios by shorting the bios reset pin on your mobo, disconnect bios battery and power plug, and hold power button for some time to clear CMOS.

Most bios updates are done from within windows or special bios utility. Generally it is also possible to flash a bios with a raspberrypi or other device capable of SPI flash programming and a SOIC clip.
Motherboard or IDE cable seems likely cause. You can try different port and/or Different/disconnected drives different cable. For example will this pc boot with Linux on a flash drive and NO other drives? You can try to reset the bios by shorting the bios reset pin on your mobo, disconnect bios battery and power plug, and hold power button for some time to clear CMOS.

Most bios updates are done from within windows or special bios utility. Generally it is also possible to flash a bios with a raspberrypi or other device capable of SPI flash programming and a SOIC clip.

Solution

NapkinEater

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013

I unplugged everything unnecessary from the mobo and used a Linux install on a SATA drive...no luck. This has left me thinking it has to be the motherboard. I had already shorted the CMOS clear pins, but I just took the battery out now to be sure. I have maybe flashed a BIOS once before in my life. I know this board has some utility called Qflash that I can get to, but it seems to only flash from a floppy drive. I scrounged up a floppy drive...don't know if it works. Now I have to find a floppy cable and disk. Is there another way I can flash this non-booting mobo without time travelling to 1998?