Stuck between these two 7870s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nmwido

Honorable
Nov 2, 2012
Hello, I'm building a new gaming/media creation PC soon and all the parts are already here save the motherboard and GPU.

If it may help, the specs to be are:
i7-3770k
g.skill sniper 8gb (might upgrade to 16gb later if i feel 8 is insufficient)
ASRock z77 extreme4 (still waiting for it)
Seasonic M12lII 520w
OCZ Vertex 4 128gb
WD Caviar Blue 1TB

Now I'm trying to decide between these two 7870s
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007JCNOY6/?tag=pcpapi-20
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131466

Links are for reference only, they're not exactly where I'm buying them from. I'm not even in the US. :p
The price difference between the Powercolor and the Sapphire is around $35 when converted to USD, so I'm curious if there's any reason I should go for the Sapphire over the Powercolor? I've also been reading a lot that Sapphire 7870s seem to have BSOD, sound loop, etc issues. Dunno if there's any truth to them or if ever it was fixed already.

Thoughts?

Solution
Well since everyone's commented on the Sapphire side (my 6950 and soon to be 7950 are from Sapphire btw) I'll comment on Powercolor. They aren't a very popular brand, but they have been in the game a while and from what I know have always made decent quality stuff that doesn't bite the dust quickly or easily. Admittedly this is more on the server/professional graphics side.

I think either will be fine if you can get them. Normally once I set a price target, I target the one with the higher clocks and least problems. Hope that helps.

JJ1217

Honorable
That Sapphire 7870 issue with BSOD and whatever problems I believe was fixed in the latest revision. It was an issue with one of the components, and Sapphire fixed it quickly and offered a replacement to ALL original revision owners.

Look, if you tell us a budget and where you are from, it can be really helpful. The 7870 Hawk from MSI is cheaper than the Sapphire on Amazon, is clocked higher, and has a better cooler. The 7870 Hawk shares the highest factory clocked 7870 title with the Powercolor one that you listed, except it has a much better cooler. Have a look at that one.

JJ1217

Honorable

"Hello, I'm building a new gaming/media creation PC soon and all the parts are already here save the motherboard and GPU."

It might help to read the first post.

I normally fully endorse sapphire, BUT ths is the card with problems and it doesn't sound good

www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202010

Honestly though... When I has a rare card out of production for a year die due to my cat, not them, their warranty department had.a new one in my hands in 2 weeks. I highly suspect they have fixed it, and it wouldn't worry ME because i KNOW if there is a problem they'll take care of it.

But there are others close enough in price that its probably not worth the hassle

nmwido

Honorable
Nov 2, 2012

I'm from the Philippines.

Unfortunately, MSI video cards isn't very prolific here, you'll find little to nothing of any MSI GPU - let alone a 7870.

There's an ASUS DirectCU but it's heavily overpriced to around P16,000ish($400~)

The only AMD cards you'll see going around here would be Sapphire, Powercolor, and AFOX. I have never really heard of AFOX 'til this morning, lol.
XFX, I noticed, is slowly getting into the country. Been seeing increasing amounts of stores that have them, though still fairly bit overpriced.

@Sumukh_Bagat - Yeah, I'll be doing some video rendering and 2D/3D animations too. Not really heavy, just for school work, but I'd like the HT.

@unksol - Thanks for that, are you sure this is the only one? This particular model seems like a new model from Sapphire, and fortunately(?) it hasn't reached my country yet.

I take it I should just get the cheaper but slightly higher OC'd Powercolor? Or should I just take my chances on the Sapphire since it has a better cooler? I see a Powercolor 7870 Vortex II around the same price as the Sapphire too, but looking at Newegg reviews, the custom cooler doesn't seem to perform any better.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131476

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
Well since everyone's commented on the Sapphire side (my 6950 and soon to be 7950 are from Sapphire btw) I'll comment on Powercolor. They aren't a very popular brand, but they have been in the game a while and from what I know have always made decent quality stuff that doesn't bite the dust quickly or easily. Admittedly this is more on the server/professional graphics side.

I think either will be fine if you can get them. Normally once I set a price target, I target the one with the higher clocks and least problems. Hope that helps.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.