Stuck booting to safe mode - no video

walleymo

Reputable
Mar 15, 2014
Hey everyone,

I am in desperate need of help! I was enlisted to remove some viruses from a Dell laptop with a bad lcd. It needs to be hooked up with VGA to work, there are no other video out options.

I initially booted fine into 7, then shut down to get into safe mode.

Well I was trying to get into safe mode by hitting F8, but nothing would show up on my monitor before the Welcome screen. So I did a very stupid thing. I changed the setting in MSConfig to safe boot with networking. I'm kicking myself, because I get no video on my monitor at all now. It's been one of those days.

So the only two options I can think of are to edit the registry from a second computer with this drive as an external. Or, I could buy a USB to VGA (or HDMI) adapter.

I found an entry in the registry for "Safe boot" but it's not obvious to me what to do from there. Does anybody have an idea of what I would change in the registry, what I would change it to, or is that setting even in the registry?

Or, does anyone know if a USB to VGA adapter would even boot into safe mode?

I'm grateful for any advice, cause I'm freaking out here.

Thanks,
Jon

walleymo

Reputable
Mar 15, 2014
Thanks for the reply. I just got it working by removing the laptop's LCD cable, then hooking up the external monitor. Apparently these Inspirons have issues with video.