Question Stuck in “Getting Ready” after fresh install of Windows among other errors

Fredd001

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2014
Hello guys, hope everyone is doing well. Im a little frustrated and thought reaching out through here.

I just put together a rig and cannot get windows to install. Ive must done this process over 100 times in my lifetime and I’m just stunned and have no idea what’s making it fail. I just built my other rig (Intel) and had no issues and now I’m building a little AMD rig and can’t get it to work. Is it the CPU? Is is the Mobo? The new NVMe? I can boot to bios and get windows installer to come up so I’m assuming the hardware is not the issue but again I’m not used to AMD.

I put together a used Ryzen 7 2700x with a used ASUS ROG Strix B450-I Gaming mobo, generic ram and slapped on a cheap NVMe 3x4 and booted into bios with no issue, verified everything shows up great. Boot with the bootable windows 10 usb, go through the prompts it copies the files within 5 minutes etc and then it restarts. Now normally after restarting the “Getting Ready” with the spinning circle comes up for a bit and then the windows installation wizard comes up (Cortana, privacy settings, etc..) then boom officially windows starts etc.
I don’t know what’s wrong but I’m getting stuck in the “Getting Ready” loading screen for about an hour or two… (should I let it go all night and see what happens?). If I turn it off mid way on reboot I’m getting “Windows Setup could not configure Windows to run on this computer’s hardware” and have also gotten “The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. Windows installation cannot proceed”.
I have never came across these errors before in my intels systems. How can I tell if it’s the hardware or software? Someone with some experience please help.
sorry for the long message!

Hello guys, hope everyone is doing well. Im a little frustrated and thought reaching out through here.

I just put together a rig and cannot get windows to install. Ive must done this process over 100 times in my lifetime and I’m just stunned and have no idea what’s making it fail. I just built my other rig (Intel) and had no issues and now I’m building a little AMD rig and can’t get it to work. Is it the CPU? Is is the Mobo? The new NVMe? I can boot to bios and get windows installer to come up so I’m assuming the hardware is not the issue but again I’m not used to AMD.

I put together a used Ryzen 7 2700x with a used ASUS ROG Strix B450-I Gaming mobo, generic ram and slapped on a cheap NVMe 3x4 and booted into bios with no issue, verified everything shows up great. Boot with the bootable windows 10 usb, go through the prompts it copies the files within 5 minutes etc and then it restarts. Now normally after restarting the “Getting Ready” with the spinning circle comes up for a bit and then the windows installation wizard comes up (Cortana, privacy settings, etc..) then boom officially windows starts etc.
I don’t know what’s wrong but I’m getting stuck in the “Getting Ready” loading screen for about an hour or two… (should I let it go all night and see what happens?). If I turn it off mid way on reboot I’m getting “Windows Setup could not configure Windows to run on this computer’s hardware” and have also gotten “The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. Windows installation cannot proceed”.
I have never came across these errors before in my intels systems. How can I tell if it’s the hardware or software? Someone with some experience please help.
Put memtest86 on a flash stick.
Boot the stick and let it run......no errors allowed.

It also might help if you listed all the parts in this build.

Are you connected by ethernet to the internet? The installer may be looking for a driver and can't find it. Is the bios the latest version? Does the memory appear on the ASUS QVL memory list?

Reactions: Fredd001

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I echo @Bob.B in regard to the memory. When you say "generic RAM" do you mean just some no-name matching sticks of something or, what?

Was the used motherboard something you have used and are aware of its history and BIOS revisions and so forth?

You can create a Linux live disk which will run off a USB if you wish to see if it will load into any OS.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Something else I would add, just as a "why not".

Have you reset/cleared the CMOS defaults on this motherboard since its prior use and hardware?

edit to say that since we posted at the same time....IMO go with the GSkill Ripjaws. Not at all saying there is anything wrong with the other, but there have been MULTITUDES of build suggestions built around that particular name of RAM in regard to AMD systems.

Fredd001

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2014
Are you connected by ethernet to the internet? The installer may be looking for a driver and can't find it. Is the bios the latest version? Does the memory appear on the ASUS QVL memory list?
I happen to have 2 different sets of 8x2 sticks and both do NOT appear on the QVL list for the mobo. I just tried both and have same issue. By generic ram I mean Kingston Hyper X and older Gskill Ripjaws. **Would this cause it to never boot windows but boot to bios?
**??

I looked for bios update for mobo but I can’t seem to find any. Not even under support in their website.
I like the Linux idea, never done it before but I’ll YouTube it!

Fredd001

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2014

Have you reset/cleared the CMOS defaults on this motherboard since its prior use and hardware?
I actually have not, let me go ahead and do that. Although as previously stated apparently the ram I’m attempting to use is not listed under the QVL so I’m guessing that’s why nothing works?

Fredd001

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2014
I echo @Bob.B in regard to the memory. When you say "generic RAM" do you mean just some no-name matching sticks of something or, what?

Was the used motherboard something you have used and are aware of its history and BIOS revisions and so forth?

You can create a Linux live disk which will run off a USB if you wish to see if it will load into any OS.
As mentioned above I have 2 sets of matching 2x8gb ram, Kingston hyper x and gskill ripjaws. I tried installing windows with both and same issue. Also both of these ram sticks are not in the QVL list, if that makes a difference.
History of mobo and cpu is unknown since they were used but Pc boots into bios and goes through the process like it should so what can I test to rule them out? Windows gets stuck on “Getting Ready” after a clean install, so it gets that far.

i also attempted some fixes for both errors mentioned above such as opening up command and doing the msboode, also going into the registry and changing something there. I somehow managed to get it to boot into windows 11 as an administrator but it was missing it’s normal features it looked botched and wouldn’t really work but it got me in after messing with the fixes which obviously did not help.

Fredd001

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2014

edit to say that since we posted at the same time....IMO go with the GSkill Ripjaws. Not at all saying there is anything wrong with the other, but there have been MULTITUDES of build suggestions built around that particular name of RAM in regard to AMD systems.

I cleared the cmos, attempting to reinstall windows but again stuck in “getting ready”. I’m going to leave it like that all night and see what happens.

keep the suggestion coming guys I appreciate all the help!

Fredd001

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2014
Put memtest86 on a flash stick.
Boot the stick and let it run......no errors allowed.

It also might help if you listed all the parts in this build.

Bob, I downloaded Linux and apparently they have memtest built into their installation so I ran some tests and it keeps on freezing, does not show any errors but after a few seconds it freezes…
Does this mean the ram is bad?
Keep in mind this same ram was working in my Intel system a couple days ago.

Bob, I downloaded Linux and apparently they have memtest built into their installation so I ran some tests and it keeps on freezing, does not show any errors but after a few seconds it freezes…
Does this mean the ram is bad?
Keep in mind this same ram was working in my Intel system a couple days ago.
At this point everything is suspect.

Try memtest86 on a flash stick see what the results are.

Fredd001

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2014
At this point everything is suspect.

Try memtest86 on a flash stick see what the results are.
Ran memtest like you recommended and got “Pass complete, no errors. Took 38 minutes.

so what now? Can it be the m.2? I still ordered a QVL checked ram just to make sure

Last edited:

Fredd001

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2014
That seems to say the ram is not too bad broke.

Where did this copy of windows installer you have on a flash stick come from?

Perhaps try the install with one stick of ram in the proper slot.
I downloaded the official windows 10 and 11 from Microsoft with their bootable media creator. I’ve tried 2 different thumb drives one with win 10 and the other with win 11. The windows 10 thumb drive I just used with my main rig so I know it works.
i did try 1 single ram stick and ran memtest which passed. Still stuck on “Getting Ready”.

I downloaded the official windows 10 and 11 from Microsoft with their bootable media creator. I’ve tried 2 different thumb drives one with win 10 and the other with win 11. The windows 10 thumb drive I just used with my main rig so I know it works.
i did try 1 single ram stick and ran memtest which passed. Still stuck on “Getting Ready”.
Anything other than a keyboard and mouse connected to the pc?

Perhaps unplug the mouse....test.

You might need to contact asus and ask how you can access the bios and driver section of their web site for your mobo.

The web site seems to be busted.