Question Stuck in a boot loop (Crosshair VII Hero Wifi)

jr5furacao

Commendable
Jul 18, 2018
So, I've been trying to get my PC to boot but I keep getting stuck in a boot loop with q-code 8, where the fans start to move but immediately stop. The funny thing is I managed to get to the BIOS a couple of times, but then the boot loop returned with me not having even touched the PC parts. I already researched forums and tried several things, here's a list:
  • swapping rams slots to every possible combination, tried booting with only 1 ram in every slot, made sure I'm connecting RAM properly
  • tried disconnecting GPU, SSD, RAMs and peripherials/case connectors, tried assembling the PC outside the case in the same conditions i.e. disconnecting parts one by one
  • tried updating the BIOS to 3004, then to 2901
  • tried removing the battery, leaving for 5 minutes and putting again, tried clearing the CMOS
  • reseated the CPU and Heatsink
I have just built this PC, however, I sent the MOBO for a friend abroad and he was able to sent it to me just now (more than a year later) so warranty is not an option. If you can help me hit me up.

Thank you,

PS.: these are my specifications:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT 73.6 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero (Wi-Fi) ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Flare X Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ]
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 2 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8 GB ROG STRIX Video Card
Case: NZXT H710i ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Suppply
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-03-28 15:50 EDT-0400

Last edited:

jr5furacao

Commendable
Jul 18, 2018
Check the cpu to see there is any bent pin or not, if the cpu does not have any bent pin, I think the MB has problem.
I did that already, pins are fine. I might do it again though as I read an Asus technician recommending the following steps for a Q-code 8 Crosshair VI troubleshoot:

"Try this before returning the board.
  1. Remove PSU power for 15 minutes.
  2. Remove the CPU and only have (1) dimm installed in slot 2.
  3. Attach PSU power, clear CMOS.
  4. Use USB Flashback and flash to EFI 1002.
  5. After USB Flashback completes, remove PSU power.
  6. Install the CPU and cooler, plus add (1) dimm in slot 4.
  7. Attach PSU power, boot the system.
  8. It will either work or not, if not, unfortunately the board needs to be replaced. "
Just wish I could know which BIOS version I could flash to instead of 'EFI 1002'

jr5furacao

Commendable
Jul 18, 2018
That's good info, thanks. Only thing is he was recommending for the VI Hero, not to the VII Hero Wifi, and I'm not sure why he was specifically instructing to flash to EFI 1002. Maybe was the most recent at the time... but thanks anyway, I'll try the steps with some version of the BIOS between 0509 and 3004.

jr5furacao

Commendable
Jul 18, 2018
As long as the MB has at least 0509 version BIOS, which the 2700x does require, the MB will support the 2700x.
So either the 1002 or the 3004 version BIOS is fine to use.
So, I didn't realize that the Crosshair VII Hero WIFI had that 1002 BIOS version, so I followed those steps: unfortunately, with no results. It's not a boot loop anymore, it'll try to boot twice and then give up --- looking like a defective MB. Just bugs me how I was able to succesfully get to BIOS after getting Q-code 8, everything had been detected by the MB and all looked fine, and then got back to 8.

jr5furacao

Commendable
Jul 18, 2018
Following up on the case: I sent my parts for a local technician and he made it work god knows how. As far as I can tell, he didn't do anything differently from what I was doing. I got the parts, mounted as I was mounting beffore and voilà, everything working fine.

May 29, 2020
Following up on the case: I sent my parts for a local technician and he made it work god knows how. As far as I can tell, he didn't do anything differently from what I was doing. I got the parts, mounted as I was mounting beffore and voilà, everything working fine.
Please ask him how he did it or what did he do differently. Please because I have the similar issue. I have built several intel systems before and this is my first AMD system.
ROG CROSSHAIR VII HERO (WI-FI)
with AMD Ryzen 9 3950X

wow I was so excited when I built it but it got stuck on Q-code 8
please help if you can how he fixed it.
thank you in advance.

jr5furacao

Commendable
Jul 18, 2018
Please ask him how he did it or what did he do differently. Please because I have the similar issue. I have built several intel systems before and this is my first AMD system.
ROG CROSSHAIR VII HERO (WI-FI)
with AMD Ryzen 9 3950X

wow I was so excited when I built it but it got stuck on Q-code 8
please help if you can how he fixed it.
thank you in advance.

I'm sorry, but he just couldn't tell me what he did differently. To this day I'm confused to what happened, he said he put it together and it worked, just like that, I even got a bit mad because I've mounted and unmounted 15+ times. It's painful, I know, good luck, man. Hopefuly you've already figured it out, but if you didn't message me again and I'll ask him if he remembers doing something differently. Cheers mate.
(forgot to tag you)