Question Stuck in a chkdsk loop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 6, 2019
Tried to boot up an old machine, gets stuck in a chkdsk boot loop. When I try to boot windows xp with a CD with an ISO it says "Press any key to boot from CD" and when I press a key it justice freezes and nothing happens. Can't boot from a USB because its an old BIOS that doesn't allow that. What can I do? I don't care about the data on the HDD so I don't mind losing it. It's a PATA HDD btw.

Feb 6, 2019
First, where did you get the ISO to create the install disk? I would also check the disk to see if it's clean of any smudges or fingerprints.
I downloaded the iso from TPB from an upload from a trusted User and with many seeds so I think that the ISO is not the problem. Its a new cd and I checked it. It works in my PC where I burned the ISO

Feb 6, 2019
Perhaps it's as simple as running cleaner disk thru your optical drive?

(sounds like CD is not being read)
I'm sorry but idk what a cleaner disk is? Is it a disk with some software for cleaning or is it a disk that's physically made for cleaning?

Feb 6, 2019
Just wait until checkdisk finishes. Your HDD probably has gone bad and need to be replaced.
I don't think that waiting for an infinite loop to end is a good idea. When the chkdsk finishes it restarts and chkdsk starts up again so yeah, it's never gonna finish

Then put the drive in another pc and run chkdisk there.
Chkdisk runs on startup because volume dirty bit is set. After chkdisk finishes and fixes all errors found, dirty bit is cleared and chhkdisk will not run on startup anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
SydneyX Windows XP 3

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS