[SOLVED] Stuck in American Trends POST. USB Keyboard doesn't connect. Can't access BIOS or Windows

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 29, 2020
TL-DR (too long didn't read) summary here in the bullet points:
  • PC is stuck at POST with a "NO Keyboard Detected" message.
  • I can't get into the BIOS or Windows. USB Keyboard doesn't work on any USB port, though other devices do connect / light up on USB ports.
  • I have no PS/2 ports, and there are no PCI-E cards for sale with a PS/2 connection.
  • All HDDs boot up with files in tact including C drive HDD when I connect to my older PC.
  • Tested various things (as in bullet list in the detailed info below. Nothing works.
  • Not sure on what to do to get into BIOS or in Windows.
  • For more detailed information, you can skim or read below the line.
===========================
Hello all,

I've searched online everywhere, but my problem is a bit odd and unique vs what I've seen online that was similar, so I'll explain as best as I can. Here goes:

As of Sunday, Jan 26th, my PC encountered a BSOD and I had to turn it off. When I turned it back on, it loaded up the Asus screen (with the Press F2 or DEL option). Then loaded up to a Marvell screen showing two of my 4 internal drives connected to it (as it has always done), then the Asus screen once more, and then into the American Megatrends POST screen where it shows my other two hard drives connected, my DVD drives, and the full amount of RAM as well. It also proceeded to say "NO Keyboard Detected. Press F1 to Resume".

At this point, I realized that after the BSOD, my USB keyboard was no longer detected upon turning on the PC as it had always been before, so I couldn't press F1 or anything.

I proceeded to turn the PC off, wait a moment, and turned it back on, but to no avail. The lights on NUM Lock didn't flicker on or blink or anything. It was completely off, and not responsive. I have another USB Keyboard and tried it in all ports and it didn't work either. I tested my USB keyboards on my son's laptop and they work fine.

In fact, it seems that all of the USB ports on my PC (back and front) ARE responsive to just about anything I plug into them in terms of showing connectivity. I plugged my USB mouse into all ports and the light turns on instantly within my mouse upon plugging it in.

When I plug in my Samsung mobile phone into any port via its USB cable, it beeps and shows that it's starting to charge and shows prompts on the phone as well.

Even plugging my external HDD into the ports shows that the light comes on, and i can feel the disk spinning within the external HDD as well. My USB flash drive as well shows lights come on within it on any port I plug it into.

It seems that all of my USB ports (front and back) connect with everything EXCEPT the USB keyboard.

I'm guessing it must be that a configuration within either BIOS or Windows must have somehow switched to DISABLE keyboard perhaps?

Here's a brief summary of things I've tried, in no particular order unless stated, all to no avail whatsoever:
  1. Removing and reseating RAM sticks in same locations, as well as different locations from what they originally were.
  2. Removing and using only ONE RAM stick in each of the 8 ports that I have (on 4 of those slots which are black in color instead of blue, the RAM needs to be paired so if I put only one stick in, it beeps, no matter which stick I put into the slot as it is paired and needs the other stick with it).
  3. Unplugged the computer from the power cord, held down on the power button for 30 seconds and turned the PC back on
  4. Unplugging DVD drives from motherboard
  5. Unplugging one internal HDD at a time from motherboard, as well as two at a time, and other various combinations
  6. Unplugging ALL internal HDDs
  7. Unplugging ALL internal HDDs except one and testing one on each of the SATA ports
  8. Using different HDD cables from the originals to connect them in case the cables were not working. However, each time, the ATA/ATAPI list or the Marvell list, still showed each drive I had.
  9. Unplugging all fans from motherboard
  10. Unplugging Front USB connections so that the front USB ports were not connected or receiving power (tested with my mouse which didn't light up after unplugging to confirm I unplugged it properly).
  11. Unplugging Sound Card in PCIE port from motherboard
  12. Unplugging GPU in PCIE port from motherboard (while I can't see anything on my screen at this time, I hear the same beep from my PC at the same time it would prompt the NO Keyboard Detected error. My motherboard has no onboard graphics card slot.
  13. Unplugging and replugging power supply port from motherboard
  14. Removing CMOS Battery and waiting a few minutes and then reseating the battery (did this with power off and unplugged)
  15. Resetting CMOS via the Clear CMOS button on my motherboard (did this with power off and unplugged)
  16. Removing and Replacing the CMOS Battery in my motherboard after a few minutes or so (did this with power off and unplugged)
  17. Downloading the latest BIOS file from Asus using my son's laptop and putting it onto a USB Flash Drive and plugging it into the USB port (nothing happened upon powering on the PC)
  18. Downloaded a lower BIOS file from Asus and attempted the same as above. Nothing happened
  19. Inserted my Asus DVD into the DVD drive to see if the computer would pick up the proper files and boot up to repair. Nothing happened (though I could hear the DVD spinning as normal)
  20. Inserted my Windows 7 Ultimate DVD (it's the OS I have on my PC) to see if it would boot up that way. No luck at all either... DVD spinning as normal but nothing happening on my PC
  21. Connected an old hard drive on my older PC that has Windows Vista on it (told you it's an OLD hard drive lol). It shows the drive on the list of ATA / ATAPI items but doesn't boot up or anything either.
  22. Made sure all devices, etc., were firmly plugged back into the mobo. No luck.
After trying everything above, I'm still stuck on the same American Megatrends screen with the "NO Keyboard Detected." prompt.

Of course, since I reset CMOS and removed the battery, it now also says "Please enter setup to recover bios setting" along with the "NO Keyboard Detected and Press F1 to Run Setup".

After all of my tests above, the light never came on for any of my two USB Keyboards at all, no matter what port I put them into. Yet for any other device, everything still connects.

I cannot access BIOS UEFI, I can't access BIOS by pressing F1, I cannot access Windows at all, I am simply stuck.

My mobo doesn't have any legacy PS/2 ports so I can't test an older PS/2 type keyboard onto it.

And I looked and looked online for a PCI-Express / PCIE card with legacy ports that I could plug into my motherboard with hopes, but they only seem to make PCI cards which my mobo will not fit into it at all.

I managed to plug all of my 4 internal HDD's into my older PC (including the HDD with Windows installed on it) and they all connected and I could access files, etc. All of the drives work and are not corrupt and give me no problem accessing files (thank goodness!). Not sure at this point if it's a MOBO issue, or a Windows issue.

At this point, I'm not sure what else to do. Here's some things I've NOT yet tried:
  1. purchased a new HDD to install Windows 7 Ultimate onto it and then putting it into my PC
  2. plugging a PS/2 keyboard onto it (again, as mentioned above, not able to find a compatible card that I can use, and I've seen people try the USB adapter version to no avail)
  3. I have not removed the Intel I7 processor from the motherboard as I was afraid of what could happen if I attempted doing this.
Here are the specs, as best as I can list them, to my PC:
  • Asus P9X79 Pro motherboard
  • Intel Core i7 Processor 3.4ghz
  • MSI NVidia GeForce GTX 1060 gpu
  • 3 internal WD 2.0TB HDDs and 1 internal WD 750GB internal HDD
  • TeamGroup Vulcan 8GB DDR3 2133 RAM sticks (8 sticks for a total of 64GB of RAM).
  • SoundBlaster soundcard
  • Basic USB Keyboard (no gaming pc, I use my PC more for music production, audio work, video vs game playing. Only game I really played on my PC in the past was Minecraft because my son loves it).
  • Thermaltake TR2 700watt PSU
  • Standard USB (non-gaming) keyboard
At this point, I'm stuck. Can't get into BIOS or Windows and I'm not sure what else to do. Thank you all in advance. Hope to hear from you all soon. I appreciate any insight on this issue.

Last edited:
Solution
GOT IT WORKING AGAIN as I type this out from my repaired PC lol!

Thank you all for the posts, especially Spaceghaze and DSzymborski, I appreciate the constant checking in!

Turns out that when I originally attempted to Flash my BIOS the first time, and loaded up the file onto a USB Flash Drive and pressed the FLASH button in the back, it didn't take... because I forgot to RENAME the file!

While checking something else out today, I noticed a screenshot of the flashing guidelines and noticed that renaming the file was required, so I attempted it again today.

I downloaded the latest BIOS file today again, extracted it, renamed it to P9X79PRO.CAB and then put that file on my PC. I then put the flash drive in the back USB port where...
Jan 29, 2020

Thank you all for the posts, especially Spaceghaze and DSzymborski, I appreciate the constant checking in!

Turns out that when I originally attempted to Flash my BIOS the first time, and loaded up the file onto a USB Flash Drive and pressed the FLASH button in the back, it didn't take... because I forgot to RENAME the file!

While checking something else out today, I noticed a screenshot of the flashing guidelines and noticed that renaming the file was required, so I attempted it again today.

I downloaded the latest BIOS file today again, extracted it, renamed it to P9X79PRO.CAB and then put that file on my PC. I then put the flash drive in the back USB port where instructed to do so, while the power of the PC was off. I then held the FLASH BIOS button for 3 seconds... and this time the light DID come on to the FLASH button. I let the flashing continue until it was completely done. Once it was done, I powered up the computer... and what do you know, the USB Keyboard light CAME ON!!

I was then able to get into BIOS, fix the time, and proceeded forward... and Windows booted up, and everything was good to go! So I'm back up and running thank goodness!

Thank you all for your help, I appreciate it! No need to throw the motherboard to the sun this time DSz, LOL!

Solution
Jan 29, 2020
Wow, it's like you half-bricked your PC! I didn't expect that, but I'll take a surprise that fixes your problem!

LOL, yeah, tell me about it, I didn't expect it either but when I saw that keyboard light come on, I felt like I saw angels and the pearly gates open up! Lol! Bricked for the entire 9 days until figuring it out yesterday thankfully. I'm glad that it fixed my problem too, and hope that others that may have something similar like this happen with their ASUS motherboard will be able to fix their issues as well with this resolution.

Spaceghaze

Reputable
Oct 17, 2019

I downloaded the latest BIOS file today again, extracted it, renamed it to P9X79PRO.CAB and then put that file on my PC. I then put the flash drive in the back USB port where instructed to do so, while the power of the PC was off. I then held the FLASH BIOS button for 3 seconds... and this time the light DID come on to the FLASH button. I let the flashing continue until it was completely done. Once it was done, I powered up the computer... and what do you know, the USB Keyboard light CAME ON!!

I was then able to get into BIOS, fix the time, and proceeded forward... and Windows booted up, and everything was good to go! So I'm back up and running thank goodness!

Thank you all for your help, I appreciate it! No need to throw the motherboard to the sun this time DSz, LOL!
Hahah, what a weird "brick". I'm glad it is back up, though things never stop to amaze me. Enjoy man!

Dec 24, 2020

I registered on the forum just to thank you. You save me. Congratulations, bro!

Status
Not open for further replies.